shabby - might be getting a new name

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the body is solid you've got a good start...battery tray replacement is standard issue with a bus. So what are you going to do first ?
Poisonous spider hunt perhaps ? :lol:
Enjoy

Well here she is :) nice man delivered it.

Got it down the drive, bit hairy, no brakes :shock:

Played with it this afternoon, got the engine turning over, carb gummed up, freed off, cleaned plugs, re set gaps got sparks. Main fuel pipe gone so I rigged up temp death trap fuel tank 8)

Still no fuel to plugs so carb come off next, that's it for today.

A couple more, its got a checker plate battery tray.

An oil cooler with external oil filter.

In between the fan and cooler fins are some deadly spider egg sacks :shock: :shock: :?

Yes it takes me back working on dirty old engines, I spent more time getting the sparkplug caps off no1 cylinder it wouldn't budge. Its easy on beach buggys :)

First thoughts are

Oh my goodness loads of work :shock:

But when u look closer , it's solid , it was the right price , you've got skills , and time on your hands. I'm kinda envious tbh. I'd love to get a bus in that condition and have the time to get it completely sorted !

Gonna watch with interest chap

I bet in a month it will be a completely different bus !

Who's gonna sort the bodywork ? Do u have anyone in mind ?

Well Im just going to get it going with an mot first, before I worry about the body work. I have to try and do as much as I can, not sure what order to do things in yet. There will be some welding needed, front floor is very thin and some prat has gone mad with the drill. No real rust but bloody holes :( small drilled holes.
I have to get a move on due to selling the house, thankfully we haven't found one yet so I'm not moving anywhere :)

Did some more this afternoon, stripped and cleaned the carb treated it to some new seals and its ALIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVh05al-AYA&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first attempt at a video my backside was in the way, not for the faint hearted, second attempt is my first youtube video. Shortly after this it would not start again I thought the starter had packed up but it turned out to be a loose connection at the solenoid.
Jobs a good un, next I`ll strip engine out along with the oil cooler to do the battery trays and fill some holes, replace tank straps. Not sure about painting yet might just get everything fitting right and running.

Plugs were sooty before I cleaned them but there was no smoke from the exhaust. I'll have to rig up a compression tester :!: the oil was clean :D
Not sure about the carb, it's on an adapter. The manifold is bigger than carb body 31pict 3 :? I'll just keep an eye on the plugs for now.

Bloody hell Bob you aren't hanging around, glad you got the engine running as well :mrgreen:

Cheers graham, hope I can pick your brains from time to time. I am going to need it. None of the dash electrics work yet, to be honest I only gave it a passing look. I might be tempted to rip the wires out and buy a new loom :lol:

I think foz had a complete loom for a 70 available, best way to tackle dash electrics is to take the screen out and take the dash top off to get to the wiring. You can download the right wiring diagram from the samba and they are relatively easy to follow.

Good luck and advice is free :)

A bit more, she moves and selects all gears, clutch seems to work. Drove it up the drive, need some buttys bits on the pedal.

Popped up

Top quality paint job :shock:

Ex hippie van

Just removed my lights, one bulb holder rotten on main rear light. Maybe I can silver solider new bulb holder into fitting save it from the bin.

Latest posts