Shimming and Camber.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryspots

Reaction score
I'm just doing a knl conv on my bay. I've put the spindles on and shimmed the link pins to the correct settings (i think) from my measurements, but now I've put the brake discs back on, they seem to have a slight camber to them, (positive / ). Is this normal or should the disc be near vertical? ( l )

Cheers.

Chris. :D

Any camber should be pretty impossible to see by eye and as far as I can remember from doing mine it was dead zero. I would check your shimming again just in case you have miscalculated. You only need 1 shim on the outside to stop the link pin head from hitting the spindle body.

Cheers for that! I'll have to check the measurements again. :D I also have had to one of the outer shims off to stop the link pin head catching the body of the spindle.

Well done, if you need other info let me know, i have done 3 of these now, so kinda know how it goes and the problems you may have.

Jon

If the camber is too far out it will affect the self-centre motion of the steering

Image%20C~0.jpg

Westy Richardson said:
If the camber is too far out it will affect the self-centre motion of the steering
Self centring is related to the caster angle not the camber angle.

uber cool said:
Westy Richardson said:
Self centring is related to the caster angle not the camber angle.

I stand corrected :lol:

I thought its was king pin inclination that gives us self centreing - and I thought castor was the effort required to move the steering. Bad camber is not good and 'can' affect the self centreing by introducing a scrub radius. Toe in and out is the important one to get right, camber is next and more difficult (time consuming) to do on link pins due to the shims system.

mysteryspots said:
I'm just doing a knl conv on my bay. I've put the spindles on and shimmed the link pins to the correct settings (i think) from my measurements, but now I've put the brake discs back on, they seem to have a slight camber to them, (positive / ). Is this normal or should the disc be near vertical? ( l )

Cheers.

Chris. :D

Hello i was just lurking on here and noticed this. Have you got the the king pins round the right way? the bolt that is in the upper king pin needs to be on the outside of the spindle, not like they were designed to be which is on the inside. does this make sense? you will get the effect that you mention of the spindles pointing in the air.

good luck

Latest posts