Shock Absorbers/Foxy Adjuster

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoff

Reaction score
I've got a type 2 VW and the mudflaps keep bottoming out on the road since Funkenblitz has changed my shock absorbers. The near side tyre has been rubbing on the wheel arch. I've got a Foxy adjuster. Does this need to be adjusted higher or is it the shock absorbers at fault?

I guess from what you are saying, is that it didn`t bottom out before. Not sure why you had the shocks changed ?? The shocks shouldn`t make any difference to bottoming out on a standard bus but as soon as you start playing the lowering game all sorts of things can come in to play. A lot of the guys on here including me, use coil assisted shocks to help with the bottoming out on our busses and these do help because the coil is assisting the springing of the original torsion springs that we`ve all tampered with in one way or another as you`ve got with your Folksy adjuster. Yes raising the bus will help but just check you have still got your bump stops fitted on both sides as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

What shocks did you have fitted? Could be you just need some better ones.

I've got a Foksy on mine too and I fitted a pair of KYB GR2's. That made all the difference, I originally had a pair of stock shocks and they were just too bouncy. Not bottoming out but just too bouncy. The GR2's are much stiffer and damp out the bounce a lot quicker. May help for you too.

Another possibility is that you changed from gas filled shocks like KYB (which exert slight pressure) to stock type shocks that are neutral. Makes a difference of about quarter to half an inch.

Thanks guys for your comments, I had KYB gas adjust white shocks which were really good, for some reason Funkenblitz changed them to a different make but don't know what they are. I'm running 16" Mercedes wheels, the nearside tyre has been rubbing the wheel arch and has been cutting into edge of tyre which I've never had before. The van has only a slight lowering.

Also, what size tyres are you running on those rims? and what width are the rims?

Mine is running 15" T4 steels, 6" wide with 195/65 15 tyres and no rubbing at all and probably lowered about 4"-ish

Hi, they've been on the van for at least 5 years and never had a problem before. They are 16" wheels, tyres are 205 55 and the rims are 7" wide.

According to the http://www.willtheyfit.com/ tyre calculator your setup is just about the same as mine, just a little wider in the tread but depending on the offset of the wheels, it could be quite a bit closer to the arch, combined with softer shocks and the tyre is rising higher under the arch and contacting the arch somewhere.

I would look at fitting some stiffer shocks.

Latest posts