Shock Absorbers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMC

Reaction score
Alright guys - need some new shocks for the van...it don't like them pot holes or speed bumps!

Been recommended to go with adjustable avo's - anyone got opinion or recommendations. My bus has been lowered but not to the max...

I like coil over gaz shocks. on the pricey side but are ace! 8)

take your wheel off, take the shock off, put wheel back on and put it back on the ground. measure between the top shock bolt and the bottom one and that will give you a starting length, then add 50mm either way and thats the length you need.
ie length of 200mm will mean 150mm to 250mm.
hope that helps

dont forget to refit the shock before you drive it :oops:

the ones made by Gaz are cool, in fact most gaz shocks are coolio 8)

earlybayers - I'm about to spend a load of cash on some new shocks - it will probably come to about 300 notes! BUT but but will it stop my bus banging when it hits a pothole or a dip in the road. I really don't want to lay out on fancy shocks if I'm not gonna get any benefit.

Any ideas?

If you have taken your old shocks off and they are in a right state then probably they will be the cause, but it maybe cause the van is 2 low for the wheel size etc?

What mods have you done? 8)

The bus has been lowered all round. I beleive (forgive my non technical ability) that the front was cut and turned and can be adjusted. Its not that low really...I seem to remember my mechanic saying that the bumpstops had been cut off...whatever that means! He did recommend changing the shocks last time the bus was in but I was strapped...hopefully this may do the trick.

Probably is the shocks then, if the stops have been removed to give more room then you need decent shocks to sort that out.

Good new shocks is always worth the cash IMO 8)

Cheers easy - sounds like I'm heading in the right direction.

No worries dude, just had a look at your van piccies and it looks like the orig wheels are they 15s? if so then more than likely its time for new shocks as I run large wheels on mine and they never rub or bang up to the arch tub unless i go down a pot hole. 8)

yep they are the original wheels....they dont rub and the banging doesn't come from the wheel arches its more like from under the front of the bus. It sounds like a metal bar hitting another metal bar.

MMMC said:
yep they are the original wheels....they dont rub and the banging doesn't come from the wheel arches its more like from under the front of the bus. It sounds like a metal bar hitting another metal bar.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That doesn't sound good!

;)

perhaps i made it sound worse than it is...the whole thing is going to be looked at next week. i think new shocks will be the answer. will let you all know.

hold on just 1 minute.

I am having the exact same problem. I get a knocking sound dunno from where though and it is not when turning corners, seems to be at a certain speed.

i need to book my van in i think

Its a tad annoying....I crawled under the van last night and couldn't see any obvious problems...new shocks going on this week - will let you know if it works!

new shocks ordered...lowered KYB GR2's for the front and KYB Gas Adjust for the rear. They are getting fitted on Thursday....

Latest posts