Should my lights flash?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
Got the van going in for it's first MOT next week and I thought I'd better check a few things whilst I've still got time. Anyway, I've found that I can't flash my head lights! side lights, dipped and full beam all work fine but if the lights are off or just on the side lights nothing happens. I'm guessing that they should flash, and I'm hoping it's just a simple relay issue, but does anyone know if it's an MOT failure?

It's not a failure then? phew, now I've just got to remember to pump up my windscreen washer bottle!

Mine doesn't flash, I'm sure i was told somewhere that the early's don't flash with the lights off?

Maybe it's something to do with the country of origin, mine was originally from the US? On my Karmann Ghia the lights flash when the lights are off or on dipped but that's an original UK spec car. As long as it's not an MOT failure I don't mind, my testers pretty good with old Volkswagens and I usually just wave at other dubs anyway!

mine was the same...well it didn't even do full beam when the lights were on as it had a random auxilary switch set up for it!
So in trying to get it all to work properly I found that the US ones (which mine is) don't flash as, for some odd reason, they don't have a permanent power feed going to one of the headlight flasher relay terminals...
Basically there was a terminal on my relay that had nothing on it at all....so a quick permanent feed to that terminal has sorted it all out and I can now flash without lights on and it works with the lights on as it should...happy days! :D
I have the link about it saved at home, so will try to post it up later if I remember.
Good luck!!

Cheers Bundy that would be great, will save me some hassle buggerig about with a multi-meter!

Here it is...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263893&highlight=headlamp+flasher
kinda explains it well, but basically you need to attached a wire from the unused terminal 30 on the relay in the fusebox to a permanent live from the unfused side of the fusebox.
I found a spare blade connection on the fuse box so ran a wire from that to the relay, using a spade connector that fit in the fusebox hole.
Hope that makes sense and works for you!
Cheers Al

Cheers Bundy, I think I'll probably have a go at this after the MOT just in case anything goes wrong!

Just as an update flashing lights is not an MOT requirement, however lights that point in the right direction and a hand brake that can actually hold the van in place are! Fortunately that was all it failed on and I got to have a good look around the under the van whilst it was on the ramps and was pleased to see that everything is still solid and rust free!

Latest posts