Side light bulb change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs hoskins

Reaction score
Novice question, but how do you do it? It seems to be in the headlight unit, so how do u access it. The Haynes manual only talks about a sealed beam unit.

This may help:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/68bus/page32.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi, to my knowledge, there are 2 types of headlight, easily identified by if there is 1 or 3 screws visible around around the rim.

For the type with 3 screws you need to remove the complete headlight from you van by undoing the screw at the 3 o'clock position on the left hand unit or the 9 o'clock position on the right hand unit (as you are looking at them). You need to then kind of hinge out the unit from the side where the screw was. This can be tricky, needing to be levered with a screwdriver etc. once the headlight is out, the sidelight bulb can be accessed from the rear.
I've never done a 1 screw type, but I think you remove just the rim by undoing the 1 screw and then there are screws behind that hold the headlight unit.
Good luck!

I undo the screw then use the hubcap puller tool to yank the light unit off, making sure I don't drop it in the process, saves slipping with a screwdriver(made that mistake) :mrgreen:

marco said:
I undo the screw then use the hubcap puller tool to yank the light unit off, making sure I don't drop it in the process, saves slipping with a screwdriver(made that mistake) :mrgreen:

Clever - I'll try to remember that one :D

Latest posts