side light keeps fusing, any ideas?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
When the light is dismantled the side lights work fine, but as soon as i put the whole lot back together, it pops the fuse! I've now noticed that when I assemble it slowly, the head light sparks with the body work! Please help me! Thanks in advance. Oh yes, it's a 69 deluxe from the U S A.

Couple of questions

are the lights switched off on the dash

is it the bowl thats arcing to the bodywork or the live tab

i suspect someone has crossed the +ve with the -ve or youve a short on the headlamp harness/switch

has it ever worked

have you or another been working on the electrics prior to this fault

I'm dismantling the side lights from the headlight, so it works when it all hangs lose.
It has never worked. When i got the van the cable was disconnected from the fuse box.
The side lights are on when i get the arcing.
I'm not sure what is meant by the live tab, but i think it's the bowl that's doing it.

You don't say what year. But I assume you have the sidelights integral with the headlamp unit. Check very carefully which way round the sidelight is wired. Tag 31 is the earth (brown wire). I've seen them where the sidelight wires are reversed which works fine while its all hanging out but as soon as the fit the headlamp unit the fuses start popping.

Thanks for the advise, i'm heading out to try it now! I'll let you know if it was successful!

It's a 1969.
Thanks again. :D

Worked a treat thankyou! :D

One less thing to worry about for the dreaded MOT

Great advice. Thanks Clarkson.
Ive had a nightmare with the lights after a dodgy restoration.
There should be somewhere to name and shame these people.

My right hand side light was wired up the wrong way around and kept blowing fuse no 2 .
I didnt realise it could be the wrong way around but I guess thats why the spade connectors are a different size

well done clarkson those boys sound really relieved thanks to your good advise.Frankie

Latest posts