Skat gear shifter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58paul

Reaction score
Hi guys this may seem like a simple one but its doing my head in, the problem is with the reverse lock out I can select reverse gear without lifting the leaver so when i go to shift down from 3rd to 2nd I can crunch the crap out of reverse, I have tried all the adjustments that I can and the local Aircooled dont seem to no whats going on either, any help with this would be greatly received. Please dont suggest a Gene berg shifter as I dont have the bangers. thanks for looking 58paul.

I expect you'll get a raft of peeps saying that Scat shifters are shit and you should buy a Vintage Speed (which break) or a Gene Berg (which are very expensive). I like a T-handle so bought a Scat, and had exactly the same issue as you, went into reverse without the trigger pulled up, crunching into second, infuriating. I spent a bit of time stirring the cogs while looking at the actual workings of it and found that the raised lip which stops you selecting reverse instead of second was laying over to the right (as you look in from the back of the bus to the front).
So, put the bus in second gear, loosen off the bolts holding the shifter to the floor, then slide it all the way to the left (kerbside) and tighten them all the way home. Then, if you look at the side of the shifter baseplate from the drivers side you will see a small dimple in the metal, drill a hole just above this dimple, I did a 6mm hole, and then use a countersink punch (for recessing nails into floors, etc), and move the raised lip over to the kerbside about 5mm. Keep trying the selection and adjust the lip over until you have it selecting second gear only until the trigger is lifted to select reverse. It took me about 20 minutes and now it shifts real sweet. I did take a couple of pics as I was doing it but don't have them to hand, can forward if you need me to. It's a simple job and makes a huge difference.

Thanks I will give it a try, sounds like it worked for you I will have to get the tools out this weekend and get it sorted, you may have just saved me from pulling my last hair out, and in which case saved me the cost of a wig. 58 Paul

Happy to help, and as a picture says a thousand words, try this: the hole location, the punch and the lip inside the base of the shifter that you need to lay over to the kerbside. Simples.
caa7a6f5929b16a970d88cc7f30184df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

once again thank you the photo helps a lot with the location of said dimple.

Ooh, that's a handy tip! I've got the same problem and both first and second are a bugger to find. Will give it a try later.

Another tip that I've done on my EMPI shifter and is recommended by others, drill out 2-Off the rivets holding the plastic bush around the "ball". Countersunk the top of the plastic and fit 2 M4(I think) set screws with nuts on the other side in the holes.

That removes any play in the base of the shifter and tightens the shifting up a little.

I did the same with my Scat...removed the 4 rivets as they weren't all that tight, and fitted nuts and bolts instead. I also elongated the 2 holes which hold the shifter to the floor, to give more adjustment. Gear changes are now good and false reverse selection has now been eradicated thanks to moving the lockout plate, as shown above. ;)

I bit the bullet and drilled the 6mm hole moved the shifter into second gear and set about the simple task as above, then at some point must have knocked it out of second gear tightened everything back up and then went to try and go for a drive with only 3rd and 4th gears, soon realised what had happened and set about fixing my mistake 40 mins later job done, its never been so good so thanks once again for the advice.

Happy to help, amazing the difference half an hour can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another tip, no matter what shifter you use, is change your gearbox oil!

I changed mine and it's now as easy to drive as my T5!

I have a CSP shifter and fitting that, along with the transmission oil, is the best thing I have EVER done in terms of noticeable mod on a VeeDub!

Latest posts