Sliding door floppy lock catch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbiscuit

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally figured out why my sliding door won't pull-in by lifting the outer handle.

Firstly, the locking plate on the B post was too high, so the hooked latch wasn't dropping far enough to allow the locking bolt to stick out along the top of it.

Secondly, I noticed that the little plastic lever on the inside front lock keeps drooping to about 8 o'clock, instead of staying horizontal.
Not enough to lock the inner mechanism but enough to prevent the outer mechanism from operating.

As far as I know, I haven't broken anything. So either it's always been like this since I've had it, or it's meant to be like this.

But I would have expected that lever to have some positive location: horizontal 9 o'clock = unlocked, vertical 6 o'clock = locked.
Not all flopping around under gravity.

So, not wanting to buy a new lock, and not wanting to destroy mine trying to get inside it (it's riveted together), has anyone fixed this issue before?

I'm thinking that if I pull the plastic lever off and turn 90 degrees, I could have 12 o'clock = unlocked and 9 o'clock = locked, so it's less likely to droop into that half-locked position.

Does that lever come off without busting it? It seems fairly firmly fixed.
Any other ideas?

Thanks for reading !

Hello!
That little lever should have a positive action to it, I guess by a spring that has snapped or pinged off!
Strangely enough my 1970 Devon has always suffered with this issue since I've owned it (around 20 years). We got very used to holding the lever up through the passenger door while lifting the outer handle. I quite like the idea of leaving the sliding door locked with both the lever and the key as a small layer of extra security!
Cheers
Dave

Hi its the spring inside the lock that has broken, and nobody sell replacements as far as i know,
i have a full mechanism for sale (depends on what year your bus is) £80
if you are interested let me know and i will post a photo
PS is your bus RHD or LHD
Thanks Vinvan

It's a 1970 RHD.

I'm not sure I want to fit a whole new mechanism, given the effort it took me to get the current one adjusted properly.

But I might try to get that lever off and re-fit it rotated 90 degrees so it's unlocked vertical.

And if I bust it all, I may be in the market for a replacement mechanism after all :lol:

Cheers for the replies

Put a picture of the lock on here because they change style after a certain year

Here it is in droopy unlocked position.

The little lever should be pointing horizontal left for unlocked and vertical down for locked.

It seems to be held onto the square-section rod with a tiny scroll pin.
I predict that trying to remove it won't end well.

FCB8296C-3E54-4B3A-AC9E-C5DA8090BA4E.jpg

I used one of my wife's hair bobbles (elastic hair tie thing) and wrapped it around the lever, it stays where you put it now. Works for me :)

Latest posts