Sliding door noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radish

Reaction score
Does everyones sliding door wake the whole camp site up when you get up in the middle of the night for the loo?
I've greased my rollers and the move freely, but the noise is loud. Do knew ones make any difference? If not I might make some nylon ones.

This may be blatantly obvious, apologies if it is, if you slide the door gently and gently push the rear of the door inwards when just about
to shut it's much quieter, and would only wake up immediate neighbours. (not so easy from the inside when you still have to smash it!)

It also feels much easier on the door mechanism...

fit a new rubber and you'll be smashing it all directions :party0007:

bTW i usually sneak out the front (I have a walk through) ive got new rubber on the front but i only have to gently lean on the handle to shut it.

Fully closing of it is another problem as mine doesn't pull in when closed! the noise is mainly from sliding the big bang at the end i can't door anything about.

Fully closing of it is another problem as mine doesn't pull in when closed!

Do you mean that the handle won't lift up? I had this with mine and it was easily fixed with a thin shim behind the latch receiver on the B Post.

I had to replace the middle roller recently so did a bit of a stripdown and clean on the whole sliding mechanism and track. It made quite a difference in opening and closing smoothness and also noise. I read an article that says how servicing the sliding mechanism is a much neglected service step...

Another thing that is supposed to make the roller quiet is that dry chain lube you get for motorbikes. You use it instead of grease on the track. It isn't sticky like grease and so stops your grease turning into grinding paste as it collects road dirt and grit.

One other way to quieten the "whump" you get at the end of the slam is to leave a skylight open to let the air escape. Feasible to do while you're on a campsite.

radish said:
Zcat the handle pulls up and pulls the door in but doesn't latch it. I've taken it apart one before but nothing was broken.

then you need a adjustment

check this out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358

SliderHinge13.jpg

you can see the cam that hold the hinge parallel to the track when the handle is pulled up. this is worn/broken or need adjustment if your door is not pulling i tight

Joys of owning a 40 year old + vehicle, still love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did that stripdown I found my cam was broken into 3 pieces. It's currently held together with lock-wire" as I can't find one from any of the usual suppliers. Anyone seen them for sale/got one?

Great, using that part number I managed to locate one at Serial Kombi :)

I have taken it all apart and everything except the nylon door runner guide was worn. I've lubed everything up and will refit tonight.

I would like to warn you all that if you need a new top roller then call around and ask what sort of quality the finish is. I paid £13 for one from VWH and it is so shit it's going back. I ordered it in case there was any wear on mine, the new one is smaller in diameter and the hole isn't even central on top of that the finish is shit! i made one on and thought that it wasn't very good, but i can say it was a million times better tan the one delivered and took all of about 2 minutes.

Should you be unhappy with the central hinge unit once re-fitted, I have several good used complete LHD units available.
Also I have the top roller assembly, NOS; note the correct steel roller: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1930898
Also NOS correct bottom roller (not the bracket) as per this photo, complete with felt washer:
1518714.jpg

:mrgreen: I know all about this as you can almost tell who has been out for a pee in the night if they got Earlies. There is a mod boys and girls, ta dah!!! I think the Westy gang started it off with a handle fitted to the rear of the door so you can close it quietly from inside. The idea is you close the door by sliding it along then just pull the rear in till it clicks and you don't have to pull the door by taking a run up to slam it into submission. The original handles are a bit scarce but there are two bolts there at the rear and you can make a pull strap or make something similar to our cab interior handles for closing. One version I've seen was made with a piece of old seat belt folded over two or three times and instead of splaying out like our cab ones, this was splayed under because from memory the bolts were only three ish inches apart, also it has to be fairly compact to allow the slider to still slide without dragging the new handle up the side of the bus.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,might take all of a half hour to make :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Oz silly question but have you done this yet ?

How did anyone get off with it?

Cheers

Joey,,,,,,,, silly answer,,what do you reckon ?????????????? You`ve heard me slamming the door you doughnut. I`ll do it in the morning and send you a pic. Like I said, you can`t make it last a half hour. So i`ll see you at the castle mate and I`ll have one for you too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, cus you is my bud,, and I got your chair :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

I have done the mod that ozziedog is referring to as I was also 'waking up the neighbours'. I used an off cut of seatbelt webbing. I will post a pic of how I did it.

Latest posts