Sloppy steering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help. My 68 deluxe has really sloppy steering, can turn wheel quite a lot without any movement at the wheels.
I had a quick look today at the steering coupling hoping it is a cheap fix. Noticed that it has split but... with the door open and by lying on my back looking at the steering box etc and moving the steering wheel with my feet.....! Interesting position for a 6'4 lump of a bloke... I could see that the steering column moved with the steering wheel and so did the coupling and the section going into the steering box without any obvious play.even with split coupling. However not a lot of movement coming out of the other side of steering box.
Does this mean I need a new steering box or does it need adjusting via the screw.... any help would be great as I'm new to all this :D

Sounds like you need a friend to move the wheel for you whilst your under the bus!

Yes the steering box has an adjuster screw. Setting it is basically a case of jacking up the vehicle so the wheels are off the floor.

Undo the locknut and turn the adjuster screw inwards to reduce free play. If you feel any tightness around the straight ahead position on the steering wheel then you need to back it off until there is none. Then set the locknut whilst holding the screw in position.

Worth buying a manual which will have this type of info in it.

There is quite a lot on here if you hit the search button, a lot more than I can remember :lol:
The steering boxes can be adjusted with that screw, but read a bit more about it in your Bentley manual and they are worth their weight in gold. Steering boxes are like rocking horse poo especially right hand drive ones, recon boxes is another can of worms. Apart from the comedy value, it might be worth your while getting someone else to do the wiggling while you have a good look. The rubber coupling is available but there are some crap ones about. The inside of the rubber is reinforced with a mesh which shouldn't contact the bolts because the rubber is also an isolater for the horn switch (earth) . The other thing is really check every other thing you can do before the steering box as they are easy to adjust to tighten but 'possibly' not the reason for your sloppiness and you just don't want to increase wear there for no reason. It's a worm and peg, might be worth checking your oil too while you're down there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Check drag link as well, much cheaper than a steering box and easier to replace than the steering pin.

If the steering box is knackered a lot of people are buying late bay boxes and converting them. Looks not too bad of a job to do.

There is a current thread on 'thelatebay' about the steering couplings, http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/steering-box.56758/page-4#post-1203345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Ozziedog has said there's some crap ones about so it might be worth a read to get an idea as to what one to buy

Thanks Guys,

Just wanted to check I was heading in the right direction, gonna take the van to my mates house so I have someone to do the wheel wiggling :lol:
Will have a go at adjusting the steering box screw first and top it up with oil while I'm at it. Hopefully that will reduce the slop.

Will have a good look round at everything else while its jacked up! ...... manual has now been ordered and is on its way.

Going to Grill and Chill at the weekend, not far to travel so should be ok. Will adjust the steering box before we head off but any further work will have to wait till next week.

Cheers

Bernie

Just thought i would join in and ask where i can buy the best steering coupling? My horn keeps sounding so I have disconnected it for the time being until I get to the cause, It maybe grounding somewhere but i thought i would get another coupling first in case this is the cause when i start investingating and pulling things apart. I replaced mine a couple of years ago but as to what the quality was i can't remember :)

subheatadey said:
Just thought i would join in and ask where i can buy the best steering coupling? My horn keeps sounding so I have disconnected it for the time being until I get to the cause, It maybe grounding somewhere but i thought i would get another coupling first in case this is the cause when i start investingating and pulling things apart. I replaced mine a couple of years ago but as to what the quality was i can't remember :)

Hiya Ade mate. I seriously don't know of who has good ones and whose are the worst. It does seem to be a little random but I have had one from Gruesome Shocking Fraudparts that didn't even make a good frisbee. If it seems ok but you're worried about the earthing, someone on here a long time ago made little sleeves for the bolts to isolate them, it was something common place like a drinking straw or similar maybe just a tad more substantial. Don't forget to make them smaller than the rubber as you want the rubber to compress slightly and not the sleeves.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Bus ok bud? :mrgreen:

Just cough up for cash for the £20-odd one from VWH its fine.

Possibly the same one JK sells as well.

GSF are a joke with parts quality, Varga parts they supply aside, everything else is crap

Latest posts