So, the points on my driving licence....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Evning all.
Doing a bit of paperwork today and found the paper part of my driving licence.
Its got 3 points on it for speeding (36 in a 30 iirc).
Anyway on this friday its 4 years exactly from the date the points went on.
Are they good to go now?
Also how do I go about getting em off?
Theres nothing on the back of the licence to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Rich

Points count towards disqualification for 3 years but have to be declared to insurance companies for 5 - so you have another year yet before you can apply for a replacement licence through the DVLA
Think it costs £20 if you "loose" yours

Points count towards disqualification for 3 years but have to be declared to insurance companies for 5

In the early 80's I had mine renewed after 3 years and the points were taken off. So - can you update your licence but still have to declare to insurance for a further 2 years?

The points are now valid for 4 years and the endorsements cannot be removed for 4 years and depending on the offense up to 11 years depending on the offense, see here https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. How long endorsements stay on your driving licence
An endorsement must stay on your driving licence for at least 4 years from either the date of conviction or the date of the offence.

4 years from date of conviction
An endorsement will stay on a licence for 4 years from the date of conviction if the offence:

is for reckless/dangerous driving - shown on the licence as DD40, DD60 and DD80
results in disqualification
Example

Date of conviction 28 May 2011 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 28 May 2015.

4 years from the date of offence
In all other cases endorsements stay on your licence for 4 years from the date of offence.

Example

Date of offence 10 June 2012 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 10 June 2016.

11 years from date of conviction
If the offence is:

drink driving or drug driving - shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80
causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs – shown on the licence as CD40, CD50 and CD60
causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis – shown on the licence as CD70
Example

Date of conviction 3 December 2009 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 3 December 2020.

just for info on the above even though if you have been rather naughty and have an endorsement with 11 years on the driving license you do not have to declare it to anyone at all after 5 years, including the insurance company and or police etc due to the rehabilitation of offenders act.

jth

ps mines clean now, mrs put it in the machine.

Defo 4 years they can be removed, Just send of your license. There is a form somewhere online you will need to complete :mrgreen:

Graham L said:
The points are now valid for 4 years and the endorsements cannot be removed for 4 years and depending on the offense up to 11 years depending on the offense, see here https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. How long endorsements stay on your driving licence
An endorsement must stay on your driving licence for at least 4 years from either the date of conviction or the date of the offence.

4 years from date of conviction
An endorsement will stay on a licence for 4 years from the date of conviction if the offence:

is for reckless/dangerous driving - shown on the licence as DD40, DD60 and DD80
results in disqualification
Example

Date of conviction 28 May 2011 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 28 May 2015.

4 years from the date of offence
In all other cases endorsements stay on your licence for 4 years from the date of offence.

Example

Date of offence 10 June 2012 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 10 June 2016.

11 years from date of conviction
If the offence is:

drink driving or drug driving - shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80
causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs – shown on the licence as CD40, CD50 and CD60
causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis – shown on the licence as CD70
Example

Date of conviction 3 December 2009 - the endorsement must stay on the licence until 3 December 2020.

I'm sure there is a good case here for a breach of art 8 ( Human Rights Act) a right to respect for family and private life ... In short a right to privacy. If they are only on your licence for 3 years it seems wrong that they should be left on longer. It ought to be three years and then off. You can't be a bit pregnant, you either are or your not. I think the Supreme Court quite recently invoked art 8 with respect to police cautions - these are now automatically spent once given and do not have to be declared for the purposes of a DBS check.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/disclosure-of-cautions-breaches-privacy-rights-supreme-court-rules/5041734.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise you're being judged on matters that happened some time in the past, and have no significance to the present.

G.

As above never figured out why insurance companies can use them as a stick to beat you with for 5 years when the issuing authority only deems them to be applicable for 3(maybe 4 )years.

Is this not Insurance companies again writing there own paychecks?

Nugsy said:
As above never figured out why insurance companies can use them as a stick to beat you with for 5 years when the issuing authority only deems them to be applicable for 3(maybe 4 )years.

Is this not Insurance companies again writing there own paychecks?

Agreed, just reaching for the flamethrower.

G.

Just for you info, if you are moving house next year send the licence off then as they don't charge for a replacement if your change address.
I didn't send mine when they were due to come off as they charge for each point removed but when i moved i sent it off and it came back blank free of charge.

Endorsements are now valid for a minimum of 4 years (it used to be 3) but you cannot acquire more than 12 points within a 3 year period without the risk of losing your licence.

Latest posts