so what exactly happened over on thelatebay ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
OK,I know not a lot about computers and how they work,just wondering if someone could explain in simple terms what has happened to thelatebay's forum?

When this sort of thing happens, is it a virus? a malicious act on the part of a third party? lack of maintenance? not paying the bill? overloading the computers brain?

We had trouble with earlybay a while ago as well,So....what causes these things happen?

Cheers - Rob

Captain mainwaring gave seargent Wilson 50p to put in the leccy , Wilson gave it to Corporal Jones who then gave it to private Pike -- who spent it on sweets ;) .

Now of course the offficial line is -- the server went down at the same time as our back up , Horts is working really hard to fix it by sending it away to the menders , should know the damage today , sounds fooked to me :cry:

i am sure horts is working v hard to sort it really , so we have to be patient :?

indee, sounds terminal - still on the plus side none of you will catch me now wahhhhhaaaaaaaaaa hohohohohohhhhhhhh ewww

What happened to tlb...

The server that hosts our forum had suffered a hard drive failure and also the backup drive got corrupted. The hard drive is having technical bods look at it to try and recover whats on it.

If you go into the latebay section on here, there are a few posts related to this!

Most technical issues with web hosts are due to the fact that it's price led, as in cheapest host wins, you can keep costs down by placing a lot of websites onto a single host (shared hosting) which causes problems when a single website is consuming all the CPU & memory resources (either through intensive resources required for things like java based chat boxes or because they are getting spammed)

You can also keep the costs down by providing "dedicated" hosting via virtual machines - so this time rather than loading a computer up with lots of websites all using the same resources, you are loading up a lot of virtual computers onto a single physical machine, with again the same issue that they are all competing for the same resources,

This isn't a problem until you over subscribe the resources - then you have issues with multiple virtual machines attempting to access the physical drives at the same time (lots of read/write = increased failure rate for hard-drives) - you also have an issue as mysql (the database software) may need the service to be paused to run the backups, if you don't then you risk corruption...

Again - other ways of keeping costs down are on technical bods - daily tasks such as testing backup integrity takes time to do and increases cost....in a market driven by low cost high volume - you could automate this process but again this increases engineering costs.....

Trouble with web based services is unless they are completely open you never know what they are using to deliver your service - you also don't know anything about their processes & procedures and also don't have any comeback due to failure (most SLA's aren't worth anything when you look at service credits for downtime)

In short....don't get the cheapest hosting package you find and don't rely on your host to backup your data - most will give you FTP access and if it's dedicated hosting you can schedule your own backup and then FTP it off site somewhere for safe keeping,

Didn't mean to post all that - can you tell I work for an ISP and get asked why we aren't the cheapest in the market place quite often? one of my bug bears - don't get me started on broadband :D

And after all the above - you can't mitigate against all scenarios, so even with the best will in the world & with a solution designed to remove all risk associated with unexpected outage there will always be something that can bite you in the arse - the hosting for TLB might have been fantastic but when you add issues on top of each other (hard drive failure + corrupt backups) then it comes to a grinding halt!

Best of luck getting it back up and running again!

Hey Larry,,,,, I followed most of that until you got to the bit about web hosts :mrgreen: So in basic terms,,, does it need new plugs or a dizzy cap ?????? :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Bit O T T lard ,, so how doooo you know all that stuff !!! :lol: ;) :lol:

MarkC68 said:
The server that hosts our forum had suffered a hard drive failure and also the backup drive got corrupted. The hard drive is having technical bods look at it to try and recover whats on it.

Does that mean they didn't have offsite backups :shock: If thats the case I'd be running from that host as fast as my legs could carry me!

the gerbils were in charge of host and the hamsters were doin the backups. think a big rabitt came in and upset them all and created this mess.
that's as much as i understand.

when we're back we'll have a poodle to sort out their issues so fingers crossed it doesn't happen again :)

lard that post made my brain cry with stress :lol:
so if you go on the cheap you get the old monty burns back up......... "and here we have a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters"? :lol: :lol:

i'll get me coat :roll:

We're homeless. That's what's happened :(

---
- Sent from my iLife 4 suite of applications.

I don`t think you`ll be homeless while we`re here, Our head honchos take in any waif and stray (even me :lol: ) I think you late dudes have livened up our sleepy little E.A.R.L.Y. B.A.Y. site, so On one hand I`d like you to have your own site back ,,,,,,, cause you is sortof homeless,,,,,on the other hand,,, I`m quite enjoying the extra company :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Said in a very deep voice,, and in a manly way !!,,,, :lol: ;) :lol:

Latest posts