Some advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maz

Reaction score
Hi, I currently run a stock, twin port 1600 engine in my bay and have had a slight issue with it :(

On the way to Bus Types we had issues with backfiring and spluttering, this was a result of the tappets
closing causing all the banging. These were then adjusted by the garage and all seemed fine.

I used the bus everyday last week doing over 200 miles and as I have a fair few trips planned this year,
I wanted to make sure it was ok.

Later in the week, I had some issues with the van stalling at low revs and mis-firing when slowing down to
roundabouts and traffic lights. The guy at the garage said run it in and we will have a look at it.

I ran it in and he hooked it to his emmission tester thing, had a look underneath etc. He then said, I think you
should leave it with us as it seems the tappets are starting to close again.........he also said if this is the case,
you will probably need a new engine :shock:

Is this correct in peoples opinions??

As I see it, I have 2 options, do I keep the van I have, which mechanicly has had everything changed except
the engine, replace it and spend the money on having all of the bodywork sorted over the winter, or do I cut my
loses and look out for another van which has had all the work already done?!

Your honest options (specially of those that have seen the van) would be much appreciated.

If the tapets are closing up fast its usually the exhaust valves, VW use to recommend the exhaust valves be replaced at 50K miles. The reason for this is the valves stretch and the the head of the valve comes off inside the cylinder. Valve stretch is a well know problem with these engines.

As for needing a new engine I think that a bit OTT, if its only the valves you should be able to get these replaces at a fraction of the cost of replacing the lot, if you have a valve compressor you can do this at home. The other thing to check at the same time is the valve guides if they are too badly worn the valve can kink, jam, and bend.

At worst your looking at two new or recon heads (assuming the rest of your engine is ok).

Hope this helps.

Ian

It might be worth trying a top end rebuild (new heads) 1st, this will cost around £350 in parts then you need them fitting but this will work out cheaper than buying a new van (although you seem really keen to get a new one :lol: )
Its upto you but you could another van with the same issues or worse.

I agree, New heads should be enough to give your engine new life.
Some new valves might just do the trick.

It is possible your cam is going flat. More then likely this is not the case.
Even new cam and lifters would be cheaper then a new Bus

I had the same problem backfieing, sounded like i was doing a drive by shooting, ended up being a hole in the exhaust, replaiced the exhaust backfireing stops. :D

And for the stalling i replaiced the rubber manifold boots which was leeking. Van drives better than it ever has done.

Its worth looking at the small things first.

Thanks for the advice guys......I am going to see the garage today to see what they can do.

You are right froggy, I would prefer to keep my bus & spend the money on getting the bodywork sorted, at least
then I will know what has been done to it. Mechanicly the only thing left is the engine, so once I get this sorted out
I should have a fairly reliable bus?! :)

Hi!

You could always get some good 2nd hand heads and do them up - or get a good running 2nd hand engine for sale 350 and sling that in, and rebuild your old one as and when, good practice too, one day I'll do it also!

Alistair

Latest posts