Sound deadening

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
Ok, so after reading about sound proofing, I've read too much and now I would like someone to just tell me what to buy :)

Noisekiller sticks in my mind and they do a T2 set, so that looks like it's going to save me a lot of time which I don't have much of!

What I remember from this site (not reading it again) http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is that technically you only need to cover 25% of your panels to reduce vibration.

So has anyone tried this technique? Or did you cover every section of your floor/ panels to stop sound leaking from somewhere?

I want to reduce road and engine noise, thanks.

I used this stuff - has made a great difference to the noise levels in the bus

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220649059457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out my thread for pics of me installing it! :D

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44243&start=140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's popular, but it looks no better than the material I use for tax disc holders! Up to 35% noise reduction?

There's some proper mass loaded vinyl available which is 24 kg for a 2 x 1m sheet. By the time you line your bus, you've probably added an extra person to the weight.

Hi

I used screwfix roof flashing, heavy bitumin type rubbery stuff, heat with heat gun, sticks very well, reflective, stops panels "drumming" and clanging, did all doors, yet to do cab floor, wheelwells and engine area, though did under the bed, cheap, effective, no doubt Dynamat is better, but at what cost?

A search finds these threads:

http://forum.earlybay.com/search.php?keywords=sound+proofing&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics etc on my build thread.

Alistair

Newton commercial do these pads

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/products/3480-products-3480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you only need to fit one to each section of panel to reduce the noise in a bus

Cheers aogrady, but I've done all the reading, it pushed out some other stuff in my brain.

I've ruled out bitumen, it's nasty smelly melty oily stuff.

From what I gather from the soundeadenershowdown and other sites, is that there is no single product that will do the job. You need mass loaded vinyl and 3M acoustic thinsulate.

About to pull the trigger on soundproofing too. Like you I've down all the reading and like most things, you read too much and then can't make a decision. So I'm pretty sure I'm going with Noisekiller (as they're local) and Dynamat. I want to get it right as I have nothing in my bus now and can barely hear myself think over 20mph.

magoo said:
Cheers aogrady, but I've done all the reading, it pushed out some other stuff in my brain.

I've ruled out bitumen, it's nasty smelly melty oily stuff.

From what I gather from the soundeadenershowdown and other sites, is that there is no single product that will do the job. You need mass loaded vinyl and 3M acoustic thinsulate.

Hi,

I forget what the stuff is actually made off, but it doesn't stink, wasn't really a smell at all to be honest, so dont rule it out completely.

Yeah, agree there probably isn't much that do both aspects, insulation and sound deadening, hence i went for the roof flashing

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashing-tape-225mm-x-10m/72438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think it was this width, you can buy narrower though.

I think sound deadening is more important, insulation is always a compromise with single pane windows..

I think i will redo mine some time, and replace the loft stuff with celeotex, you may well find offcuts cheap, or free on freecycle. then use the behind radiator, silver bubble wrap stuff. The loft insulation fibreglass, even though it is wrapped can hold water if it leaks in, but it's only the same as used by the Westfalia factory, (and my bus was rust free, albeit from warmer climes..) except i used more and filled the gaps, though i suspect Cellotex would be better as it's closed cell structure wont hold water (IIRC), though the side walls are slightly curved, i suspect a air gap of a cm or so isnt a bad thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=foil+bubble+insulation&_sop=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think my bubble foil was from Homebase, B+Q advertised as behind radiators

Good luck, post up your results

Alistair

I got NoiseKiller in my bus, everything but the roof. work very very well, i can here what my kids are saying in the back (dont know if thats a good or bad thing :lol: "are we there yet") the only problem is its bloody heavy!!

Noisekiller sounds like the best option, however I have discovered one flaw in all of this. All your efforts go out the window as soon as you open the windows! Who drives with their windows shut?? :)

magoo said:
Noisekiller sounds like the best option, however I have discovered one flaw in all of this. All your efforts go out the window as soon as you open the windows! Who drives with their windows shut?? :)

haha i do drive with the windows open quiet a bit, but I tell you whats more annoying... i spent £300 on the sound proofing, lovely.. job done!
Fitted i nice new shiny twin mount aerial at the front... worst 20 something pound I've spent.... it whistles when i hit over 40mph, very very annoying, wast of sound proofing!!!! :evil:

I used sound proffing mat, bitumen. I put it all over the sides and rear of the bus as well as the walkthrough, front doors etc. Made a massive difference.

But the biggest difference came from fitting the egg box foam to the headlining. That took so much noise out of the bus. Wished I done that first as I might not have done the rest.

J.

I used fat mat - claims to be the same/better than dynamat and cheaper - got my on ebay from UK disti - I too looked at all the options with foam, mat, vinyl e.t.c. and just decided to use this, panels now thunk when you tap on them :)

http://www.fatmat.com/

This may or may not help....

Have been surpirsed lately that mine sounded noiser than i remembered, and so went down the route of adding even more sound proofing behind and under the R&R bed. Even a bit of automotive carpet to help surpress noise and to hide the silver of the matting panels.

some slight improvement, but then i discovered the end piece had fallen off the tailpipe.....aha.

Lovely and quiet now - :lol:

got to be a lesson in there for me....

Took this quote from a Dynamat Extreme Amazon review,

"Then I cut the heavy MLV and covered the firewall and under each front seat.. single piece. And also under the rear seats. Got it all back together expecting something fantastic... and was shocked and outraged that even before I turned on the Radio Shack dB meter, there was absolutely no change. 83 loud dB of tire noise at 35 mph and 86 dB at 65 mph.

I can only conclude as another reviewer did: that tire noise is 95% of the cabin noise, and that because of the way the vehicle is constructed... at least mine... the tire noise is transmitted through the frame and to the cabin... not so much through the flat panels on the floor.

The reason that there is "almost no sound deadener" on the floor panels, is that it doesn't help and car makers know that. I am pretty close to outraged at the misrepresentation by this fraud industry."

I think my conclusion with all this is that your choice of tyre will make a noticeable difference to noise levels inside the cab. Covering your interior completely will have little benefit (up to 30%), but spending serious £100s for up to 30% is a waste. All we can do is reduce vibration from panels and the 25% coverage technique mentioned in the deadener showdown link is probably the best approach. As for choice of material, I've yet to come across something (according to reviews) which doesn't smell or peel off in heat!

Interesting stuff but it sounds like your expecting a 40 year old van to sound like a new car!

I'm doing it more for insulation than sound deadening and if it does kill some noise (which I personally think it will, engine for sure at least) then it's an added bonus.

I have a bare rolling shell at the moment so I'd rather do it and regret it later than not do it at all :lol: £200 is a drop in the ocean compared to what this vans going to cost.

89Rallye said:
Interesting stuff but it sounds like your expecting a 40 year old van to sound like a new car!

I'm doing it more for insulation than sound deadening and if it does kill some noise (which I personally think it will, engine for sure at least) then it's an added bonus.

I have a bare rolling shell at the moment so I'd rather do it and regret it later than not do it at all :lol: £200 is a drop in the ocean compared to what this vans going to cost.

likewise - my primary reason was insulation for the panels - the fact that it may reduce noise is a bonus

Agree with 89Rallye and Lard - when you've got a bare shell it's a lot easier to do than decide you want to do it after all the interior has been put back in.

Latest posts