South African buses

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Austin, I found it last year on a site called 'Monkeymotors' ,a guy called Dan goes over every year hunting for buses and imports about 6 a year. He had this one listed for a bit then it disapeared only to re-appear this year, I think He never got round to shipping it last year. He takes care of all the import duty etc and can mot and reg it aswell, but as I can do most mechanical jobs I went for it 'as-is', it works out a bit more pricey than a U.S. import but is RHD, and I figured it's still cheaper than a dodgy 'fresh paint uk van (not that all shiny vans are dodgy)

I am from SA and can relate to these comments made. I bought a '72 so67r Westy 3 years ago. I had to replace a lot of metal and still busy with the bodywork. I then came across a '70 so67r Westy standing at a scrap metal dealer ready to be cut up for scrap metal. I brought it home, fixed it up and rolling it as is. I think the risk with SA busses are the fact that we do not have a MOT or something similar. Roadworthy certificates are only required when there is transfer of ownership. Replacement parts are also scarce and most parts imported if you want to replace something. Because of that, people tend to "fix" things with sub standard workmanship.

Of course you may well end up with one of the real odd buses like ours which came out of SA. Something to do with a tie up with VW Brazil.

Photo0119.jpg

Bay front, Split body. Not everybody's cup of tea but we love our Rosie. :D :D

doz said:
Of course you may well end up with one of the real odd buses like ours which came out of SA. Something to do with a tie up with VW Brazil.

Photo0119.jpg

Bay front, Split body. Not everybody's cup of tea but we love our Rosie. :D :D

and a late poptop to boot :D

Hi Low lighter, we call those busses Brasilia's over here. They were sold by VWSA from 1976-1978. Your bus is in great condition! I must say, there are not too many of those busses around anymore.

doz said:
76-78?? Mines 1972. :shock:
I am not sure what to make of that. Maybe Fig (resident fleetline guru) could could tell us how that is possible :D I have sent him a PM. Regardless, this is a unique bus and I am sure it gets lots of attention!

Well she does but i must admit not all of it is positive. Still we don't care it suits us and we love her unusual looks. I am getting a bit concerned over age though. If she is say 76/78 then i can't imagine the issues this is going to cause me. I have been told she was one of 75 kits sent from Brazil to SA. However who knows. I know the Brazilians were making late splits into the 70's but I as of yet have never seen another split bay like ours. If anybody has any history on our Rosie i'd love to hear it (even if it is bad) I haven't a clue where I stand if she is a later bus. I've piled a fair amount of cash into her now last thing I need is for her to turn out to be condemned :shock: :shock:

doz said:
I know the Brazilians were making late splits into the 70's but I as of yet have never seen another split bay like ours

Your tail lights look a lot different compared to the 'regular' Brasilian bus though.

938168.jpg

938167.jpg

938166.jpg

938165.jpg

Latest posts