Spare Tyre on Front or Badge ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHutch

Reaction score
Having some paint done, could lose the spare wheel off the front and go to a badge (if I can find one !)

What's the consensus ? spare or badge?

i had this dilemma.... badge all the way. stick the tyre on the roof like this....

ebrack03.jpg

ebrack02.jpg

ebrack01.jpg

:)

someone bumps you from the front with the tyre on, or the brakes fade your looking at a fair bit on panel beating.

Badge - removed my front tyre - it looks so much better in my eyes

If your off to the gobi desert then tyre but for uk and Europe it's gotta be the badge imo

Have carried a spare both inside and on the roof, but now carry a repair/inflation kit that otherwise lives in my daily driver. It may not get me home but it ought to get me off a motorway and to the nearest tyre shop. Have never considered front mounting for all the reasons already stated.

Loving Johnny's roof rack BTW. :D

Wow, not much love for the tyre then ! I was mindful of the term 'chrome don't get you home' but I guess if you carry the tyre somewhere else...

I used to rely on the tyre repair cans that fit to the valve until I had to use them one day - tyre stayed flat surrounded in a sea of white foam :(

RayHutch said:
Wow, not much love for the tyre then ! I was mindful of the term 'chrome don't get you home' but I guess if you carry the tyre somewhere else...

I used to rely on the tyre repair cans that fit to the valve until I had to use them one day - tyre stayed flat surrounded in a sea of white foam :(

Know what you mean. Kevlar in the tyres is not like that, it stays in there for the life of the tyre and theoretically can be transferred when changing tyres. It works on a blocking the plug holes with hair principles and I've seen some great demos with 6" coach bolts etc driven into tyres then levered out. I had mine done at a show a few years back. When I came to swap the rear tyres, they weren't happy with swapping over the gloop into the new tyres so I've got it in the front but not the back, I need to sort that. The only downside I can see apart from very twitchy tyre fitters is apparently it's not brilliant at high speed like over seventy five as you can get a balance wobble, this may not affect me too much :lol: Lots of people in the tyre industry seem to dismiss it out of hand as it's gonna do this and it's gonna do that and I can understand that it's new so peeps are a little reluctant. It had been in my tyres two or three years and I don't think there was anything noticeable apart from the 'gloop' in the tyre. Would be interesting if anyone else has any real experience with it, not in the, my mates dogs mate etc. And Kevlar not puncture repair foam or kits. ;)

Ozziedog ',,,,,,,,,, I can't be the only one ? :mrgreen:

Some people use a bmw space saver with same stud pattern (late style) under the van.

In the UK, a can of tyreweld and an RAC/AA/Greenflag card would suffice.

Unless its daft o'clock or your in the Scottish highlands, your never more than 20 miles from a tyre fitters.

Latest posts