Spare wheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Currently I don't carry a spare wheel in my 71 Dormmy, just a can of tyre inflation stuff.
I am thinking of doing a extended trip round Europe later this year and kind of think I need a proper spare wheel.
Currently have SSP GT 5 spoke alloys fitted, 5.5x15", 5x112 PCD , ET20. Don't want to buy another one of those at £147. Does anyone know of a steel wheel with those settings. I was thinking that something like a Sharan wheel might work.
Thanks in advance...

It’s a good idea to carry a spare if you’re going on a longish trip away. The spare will get you moving again so you can then look for a tyre place to repair the punctured one. If you don’t want to carry another expensive alloy as a straight swap, then a stock steel wheel with standard size tyre will do and will also fit in the wheel well.

Standard steel wheels are 14 inch and I have after market callipers on the front so 14 inchers won't fit.

Mercedes Vitto wheels are a good match, just make sure you find one in ET39

Mercedes Vitto wheels are a good match, just make sure you find one in ET39

In the past, I undertook some on-line research regarding the specifications of Mercedes Vito wheels. So far as I could determine, the wheel-offsets were all MUCH larger than 39 mm (typically in the 52~60 mm range), which I deduced would be unsuitable for my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/vito/

Last edited:
Currently I don't carry a spare wheel in my 71 Dormmy, just a can of tyre inflation stuff.
I am thinking of doing a extended trip round Europe later this year and kind of think I need a proper spare wheel.
Currently have SSP GT 5 spoke alloys fitted, 5.5x15", 5x112 PCD , ET20. Don't want to buy another one of those at £147. Does anyone know of a steel wheel with those settings. I was thinking that something like a Sharan wheel might work.
Thanks in advance...

£147 per wheel seems like an astronomical sum of money to me! I paid just £80 (£20 per wheel) plus shipping for FOUR Mercedes C-Class, 7 x 16 inch alloy wheels, with 112 mm PCD & 37 mm offset, whose specifications are probably much better suited to a 1971~79 VW Type 2. Having a 20 mm offset on those SSP GT 5-spoke, 5½ x 15 inch alloy wheels, would severely restrict what sizes of tyres could be used, without incurring interference problems with the wheel arches.

In common with Mike202, I would regard a spare wheel & tyre as essential. For extended trips around Europe, especially behind the "Iron Curtain", my family and I carried two spare wheels & tyres.

On British & European roads these days, there is even greater scope for punctures and/or more serious damage to a wheel & tyre, which would render both unserviceable. On-line language translation and greater fluency in English (or American-English) of a greater proportion of Europeans these days, obtaining a suitable replacement wheel & tyre, might be fraught with major difficulties and/or delays.

Last edited:
Also, might be worth watching the ebay shops of MWS or John Brown wheels or whatever they are called these days for seconds or cosmetically inferior wheels that get sold off cheap. They used to sell them off at shows as well, but I don't know if thats a reliable option these days.

Here across the pond, the T25 owners often change out their stock wheels to 15” or 16” leaving a plethora of old 14” wheels that are sold off cheap.

I bought a set for not much and had them powder coated. They are not exactly the same as stock wheels, but most people cannot tell the difference. The next time you see a T25 with big wheels, ask him what he did with his old rims.

Latest posts