Speakers - Electro Dynamic Exciters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are fixed using the same foam as you, they seem to work fine. :D

I do notice different sound quality depending where I am in the bus though, in the back it's quite bassy as I have fitted an exciter directly above the rear bed,( a larger panel) whereas in the front it's more trebley (excites are fitted on the metal part of the doors which is obviously smaller) just play around with different surfaces until your happy.

Remember to try different settings on your stereo on each area you try aswell.

aogrady said:
Hi!

I would have thought they would need fixing directly to the surface? Does it not muffle the sound? How does the foam affect the movement of the thing, I'm thinking alone the lines of a speaker cone, but i guess they dont work like that?

Alistair

If I have enough time I might try holding them in place first and then try the foam, see if it makes a difference. I guess the foam may alter it a bit.

Bigbear said:
Mine are fixed using the same foam as you, they seem to work fine. :D

I do notice different sound quality depending where I am in the bus though, in the back it's quite bassy as I have fitted an exciter directly above the rear bed,( a larger panel) whereas in the front it's more trebley (excites are fitted on the metal part of the doors which is obviously smaller) just play around with different surfaces until your happy.

Remember to try different settings on your stereo on each area you try aswell.

I have thought about fitting one to the wooden headlining above the cab, could work well I reckon but it would mean trying to get wires up the pillars......

Well, I ran a wire under the cab mats then up inside the stink pipe then out onto the steel roof at the rear. Could do the same for the front if you still have westy interior? I had to drill a hole in the pipe between the headlining and roof then run the wire out. As mentioned earlier though, you will get better quality sound if you fit them to steel.

Oh and as for the difference between foam and bolting, foam seems to reduce vibration/interference/rattling. :)

Bigbear said:
Well, I ran a wire under the cab mats then up inside the stink pipe then out onto the steel roof at the rear. Could do the same for the front if you still have westy interior? I had to drill a hole in the pipe between the headlining and roof then run the wire out. As mentioned earlier though, you will get better quality sound if you fit them to steel.

No stink pipe on the 68 sink unit :( I'll give it a try on the door for now and see how it goes, can always add more later :D

67westy said:
Bigbear said:

No stink pipe on the 68 sink unit :( I'll give it a try on the door for now and see how it goes, can always add more later :D

Typical! :roll: I started out with two then added two more at a later date, at least it gives you a chance to try a few areas before buying another set.

Yes there is! I got them installed and they are working really well. Unfortunately I haven't had much chance to use them yet as I got side tracked with alternator issues :roll:

Whilst I was installing them I placed one on the ply roof lining over the cab and that added a lot more bass. I'm now thinking of buying another to fix up there permanently, it will probably give a lot better sound. The sound also seemed better once the door card was back on.

Definitely pleased with it though, nice and unobtrusive installation and seems loud enough although I haven't been on a high speed run yet.....

Hi Al,
About a month ago I fitted a second set of the exciters to may van and I used the method pictured above, it works spot on and is the suggested method given by the retailers.

I'm so surprised that its only is 3 using these, ever person who comes in my van who knowns what i have fitted comments on the sound.

Yeah I'm happy as larry with mine, I was also thinking of putting one above the headlining in the front but I run out of wire! :roll: that's another job for the winter months I think.

I've currently got one in each door ,one above the rear headlining and one behind the drivers seat facing the back, it seems to use the buddy seat as a bass box which is cool.

And not a cut panel in sight!!! :D

WOW...... I fitted standard speakers in my front kick panels just inward of the headlight bulge, no decent sound to them :( so have been thinking about relocation during her current resto into the yet to be covered door cards, but reading this am quite excited, no need to have visible speaker fronts. bang a of these couple in the door and couple in the bed base front.

as far as the bed base being 1/2inch thick i might thin down an area to mount the exciters using my router

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

not metal but how do you reckon that might sound, still keep the strength of the bed by routing out a an 8inch square section for each unit...........just a thought

busdiver said:
WOW...... I fitted standard speakers in my front kick panels just inward of the headlight bulge, no decent sound to them :( so have been thinking about relocation during her current resto into the yet to be covered door cards, but reading this am quite excited, no need to have visible speaker fronts. bang a of these couple in the door and couple in the bed base front.

as far as the bed base being 1/2inch thick i might thin down an area to mount the exciters using my router

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

not metal but how do you reckon that might sound, still keep the strength of the bed by routing out a an 8inch square section for each unit...........just a thought

Try it on a scrap piece first I reckon, I'm sure they rely on vibrations to amplify the sound so it might be that just the routed area would vibrate anyway, or the routed area may vibrate at a different rate to the rest of the bed board due to different thicknesses which may cause an odd output of sound?

Like Bigbear says try it on a pice of scrap, a conventional speaker moves/vibrates air by moving cone causing a sound to be produced, the sound exciter dose this by turning whatever it is fixed to into a cone.

It may be that actually your idea produces a crisp punchy sound that has a good deep range caused by the void it is in (the bed box)

all things to bare in mind when i get that far, i guess the list of possibles is down to ingenuity, like the idea of these as the would appear to take up less space.

This is good reading. I am currently looking at speakers for my mk1 cabby as with the roof down you can't hear anything from the stockers.
Have thought about 6x9 s in the parcel shelf but this is covered by the hood when its down so you only get bass.....

How loud do these things go to??

:smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

They get pretty loud, I think the limiting factor is what it is attched to. Something fairly solid would allow you to louder as you are less likely to get distortion. The door is a bit limiting as there are lots of holes and handles/winders etc to rattle

67westy said:
They get pretty loud, I think the limiting factor is what it is attched to. Something fairly solid would allow you to louder as you are less likely to get distortion. The door is a bit limiting as there are lots of holes and handles/winders etc to rattle

Interesting.... there are a few things that I think can be used to mount them, it cannot be worse than the crappy 80s stuff in there now :lol:

I think I will get a set and have a play with them.

Sent from my VS TOUCHTAB 10.1DC

I think a large relatively stiff panel will give you the best range and least distortion. The ply roof above the cab of the westy gives quite a bassy sound due to the sound and construction. If that was split in two halves and seperated I think you would get a pretty decent stereo sound from it.

Latest posts