Speakers - Electro Dynamic Exciters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi!

Following on from discussion on Ellie the earlybay's build thread here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47019&p=417191#p417191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk was made of Electro Dynamis Exciters, to use as speakers mounted hiden away, using plastic, card, etc as the speaker medium, as suggested by Bigbear and Sam, a few links were mentioned, so i collated a little info, and maybe folk can post up there findings on this thread?

This is what Ellie bay is using:

F58BAA6E-056D-4242-9DCC-EE66D3E1BBF3-3955-00000347FE8DC0AB.jpg

He said in his thread:

They turn whatever they are attached to into a speaker, it's a bit strange and a don't fully understand it. I watched a few videos on you tube and they look quite good, for £28 each il give them a try in the hope that I don't have to cut my door cards etc up. In the videos they seem to work very well when attached to box like items, when you consider what the westy interior is made up of these should work well. Il update further once they're fitted.

Well I wired in my stereo yesterday haven't fitted the exciter things yet as I've not got enough cable, however, being the big kid that I am I had to wire one up to see what they were like. They are extremely quiet until you attach them to something and then they sound great, I just rested one on the glovebox and it sounded great, then an empty box which sounded even better! It's yet to be seen what they perform like inside the door cards but il wire them in over the weekend and make my mind up from there, il keep you updated.

Hi Al, it was me that suggested them to Big Bear as I have the smaller ones in my van.
I suggested getting the bigger ones as I felt that whilst providing a great tone with good EQ adjustment I needed a little more power in a camper.
What you need to consider is what you fix them to as that become the equivalent of the speaker cone.

My plan is to get 2 of the larger ones like Big Bare and fit them to new door cards or 1 in the cab plywood roof panel and the other I'm undecided. I am then thinking of mounting the smaller to shorter ( so stiffer) ply boards to make them more of a tweeter although this may just make the quite ( all trial and error)

In principle they are simply the driver from a normal speaker so the more air you move (bigger board that they are attached to) the more bass will be produced ( within its limits) add a sealed box area like a door or glove box or purpose built box and hey presto you have a bass bin of sorts.

It's all trial and error but I think you can a great sound and without cutting large holes and I hope for less cash.

My brother in law sells electronic item and has seen a van kitted out with these by a professional and he said it was really good.

Hope this helps if you guys find new stuff out about them and usability then make sure post up on here so we all know.

Good luck big beat looking forward to your report on these.

Sam

I found a clip on Youtube which gives you a idea of the application:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJxxvIBCIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which leads me on to this thread below.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41193&p=416105&hilit=+foamex#p416105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering, this may work really well with the foam as it's lightweight, now maybe all you would need is a sub somewhere for the bass lows, i reckon a ceiling for the treble and mids would be awesome.....

Have a look into this people, post up your finding here!

Cheers!

Alistair

http://www.impactaudio.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=131&product_id=1290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rapidonline.com/Audio-Visual/Visaton-Electro-Dynamic-Exciters-500269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Electro+Dynamic+Exciters&aq=f&oq=Electro+Dynamic+Exciters&aqs=chrome.0.57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=speaker+exciters&oq=spea+Exciters&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i7i30j0i8i7i30.121290.122683.1.125477.4.4.0.0.0.0.125.396.2j2.4.0...0.0...1c.1.7.serp.QSI7DAdb6hs&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44442042,d.ZWU&fp=1cf1019b794864cb&biw=1024&bih=485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be interested to hear feedback on these as well. I saw them mentioned on that thread, I'm wanting to put speakers in but don't really want to cut up door cards etc. sounds like these could be a solution

Here's a video off YouTube that shows what they do. http://youtu.be/WJ4sNzFq9og" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks impressive.

Well I fitted mine today fellas and I'm really happy with them, so much so that I'm ordering another two! The quality of sound you get is unbelievable considering how small these things are, I first tried them on the back of the door card and the sound wasn't great. (Maybe because its made of multiple materials? Card,foam and vinyl) so I then attached them to the back of the solid panel inside the door and stuck them in place with double sided sticky foam, the sound is really good, quite bassy aswell. After I rebuilt the door card a had a few rattles and distortion but after a bit of fiddling I sorted it. Adjust the sound on your stereo to suit and away you go.
I think I may put another one behind the long panel opposite the sliding door and maybe one in the roof.
Fantastic value for the money fellas! And no I don't work for a car audio company!!! :lol: :lol:

I've got to say a big thanks to Sam for suggesting them, I would of hacked my interior to bits otherwise! :p :D

Bigbear said:
Well I fitted mine today fellas and I'm really happy with them, so much so that I'm ordering another two! The quality of sound you get is unbelievable considering how small these things are, I first tried them on the back of the door card and the sound wasn't great. (Maybe because its made of multiple materials? Card,foam and vinyl) so I then attached them to the back of the solid panel inside the door and stuck them in place with double sided sticky foam, the sound is really good, quite bassy aswell. After I rebuilt the door card a had a few rattles and distortion but after a bit of fiddling I sorted it. Adjust the sound on your stereo to suit and away you go.
I think I may put another one behind the long panel opposite the sliding door and maybe one in the roof.
Fantastic value for the money fellas! And no I don't work for a car audio company!!! :lol: :lol:

Do you mean you stuck them to the outer skin of the door or have I misunderstood? Do you think you need a sub as well?

Brilliant I'm glad they have worked out, it is amazing what they can do.

Who's gonna be next ???

67westy said:
Bigbear said:

Do you mean you stuck them to the outer skin of the door or have I misunderstood? Do you think you need a sub as well?
It depends what you want mate, I'm probably not going to bother with a sub, but you may find that you want to add one for that bit extra?
I fitted it to the solid panel of the door facing in,the part the isn't cut out below.
5B519FD3-1760-46AC-BFC8-EE765009984B-6369-0000061EA5E4B648.jpg

Bigbear said:
It depends what you want mate, I'm probably not going to bother with a sub, but you may find that you want to add one for that bit extra?
I fitted it to the solid panel of the door facing in,the part the isn't cut out below.
5B519FD3-1760-46AC-BFC8-EE765009984B-6369-0000061EA5E4B648.jpg

Picture speaks a thousand words :D Thanks

just wondering how much power you could send them....would they run off an amp with out blowing ???

depends on what RMS the amp is and the RMS of the speakers, you can power them no probs and just turn the amp down a little, always get a better quality of sound. saying that in my mates T4 we had the front speakers running off the headunit and he bought one of those underseat bass box (pioneer) * other brands are available!! sounded really nice the speakers had enough treble to work well with the 150W sub n amp. even though hes just piled in 2 Vibe 12" subs under the seats now its heaven to the ears!! had jack johnson blasting out the other day at the beach!! PERFECT balance!!

*Sam* said:
Brilliant I'm glad they have worked out, it is amazing what they can do.

Who's gonna be next ???

I wish I knew about these last year, I spent hours comic wrapping my r n r kick panel, then cut my 6x9's into them :roll:

Cool idea 8)

Result!, might have to look into getting these for sure.

Can you power them just from a mp3 player, or i guess this isn't enough power, so from a head unit is best? Just had a plan for the shower glass at home.... ;)

Do you think if they were bolted to the door the sound would improve, as no give in the fixings like double sided foam?

Also, would you need to mount them in a particular way to get stereo separation? I have a 4 channel head unit, front and rear, left and right, but wonder if extra ones could be wired into the same circuits?

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
Result!, might have to look into getting these for sure.

Can you power them just from a mp3 player, or i guess this isn't enough power, so from a head unit is best? Just had a plan for the shower glass at home.... ;)

Funny you should say ^^ the company in states sell some that are powered by AA batteries and plug straight in to an MP3

Do you think if they were bolted to the door the sound would improve, as no give in the fixings like double sided foam?

Also, would you need to mount them in a particular way to get stereo separation? I have a 4 channel head unit, front and rear, left and right, but wonder if extra ones could be wired into the same circuits?

I guess they could buy the pair on the same circuit would not be in stereo from each other. ( if that's what you mean )

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts