Speedo Cable not turning. What drives it ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar5

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what drives the speedo cable.
My speedo hasn’t worked since a brake overhaul. The cable does not turn when the wheels are rotated.
I had the left hand disc set up apart today and I think I can see the speedo cable entering the centre of the hub at the back but theres no visible mechanism for making it turn.
I’ve looked through both the Haynes and the Bentley manual but I cant find any explanation.

Am I missing something :)

I had the same problem......
The speedo cable passes right through the centre of the hub. On the very outside of the hub there is a square hole in which sits the square end cap of the cable secured by a circlip. Either the circlip in missing allowing the cable to pull out of the hole or the square end of the cable has broken off.
Hope this helps. :)

Matt.

Not sure about the disc setup, but on drums the cable protrudes thru the dustcap and is held in place by a clip.

Are you missing something similar to the clip/dustcap setup?

If you disconnect the cable from the back of the speedo and spin the wheel does the end of the cable turn? If not - and all is connected as expected at the spindle end - maybe the cable is broken somewhere?

The problem has come after the change from drums to discs
The caliper is a one with two bleed valves.
The cable does not extend out of the end of the spindle but even if it did theres nothing for it to engage in.

Should I have some kind of cap covering the centre of the hub, at the minute the bearing clamp nut is exposed.

I,ve looked at the set up in the Bentley book and it does show a cap then a circlip.
Is the speedo mechanism really as simple as this.
In which case all I think I need is a cap a circlip and a new speedo cable.

Any comments appreciated.

redstar5 said:
The problem has come after the change from drums to discs
The caliper is a one with two bleed valves.
The cable does not extend out of the end of the spindle but even if it did theres nothing for it to engage in.

Should I have some kind of cap covering the centre of the hub, at the minute the bearing clamp nut is exposed.

I,ve looked at the set up in the Bentley book and it does show a cap then a circlip.
Is the speedo mechanism really as simple as this.
In which case all I think I need is a cap a circlip and a new speedo cable.

Any comments appreciated.

Yes that should be all you need - unless the disk and drum speedo cables are different.

Latest posts