split charging with a dynamo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubaroo

Reaction score
just wondering which is the best split charge relay to use with a dynamo, and will it cope ok with the extra battery?

all the standard relay kits should work with a dynamo - and should perform ok

although a alternator seems to be a more efficient way of generating the charge

What Stu said. I have an 85Ah leisure battery and a dynamo and so far have not been aware of any problems. If you are at all unsure of anything, it would be worth contacting 'faux' on here, he actively offers help and advice on this subject.
He might even be able to supply the relay/fuses etc for less than the usual VW suppliers ;) .

I'm running a split charge system on a dynamo. 1st real test will be this weekend at Stanford Hall.

But.... I've spent a long time adjusting the "intelligent" split charge relay, so it only kicks in above idle speed (I've set it at about 13.7V). I have a spare connection from it (designed for the fridge connection) wired to a temporary light on the dash so I can see when it is trying to charge. The factory setting was way out - kicked in at 12.7V, so connected the leisure battery in with the engine off!

A simple relay like Faux suggests won't have that issue.

Nick

faux said:
I run the relay off the coil and this switches the charge on when the engine is fired.
Mines wired the same way, standard 30/40A 4 pin relay, 2 in-line fuse holder (1 inbetween each battery and the relay) and an earth.
Find a place for the relay and its only 1 wire from the coil (or an ignition switched live) 1 wire to each battery and an earth. (Also remember to earth your leisure battery :lol: )
I tried using a smart relay and ended up giving it away and switching to a standard relay. a 40 year old van using old school technology :lol:

Do bear in mind that if you switch the relay using the ignition feed, you are connecting in the leisure battery whenever the ignition is on. Probably not a problem with a healthy leisure battery and a healthy van battery. If your van battery is dodgy, you may end up trying to use the leisure battery to start the engine (the fuse will protect the wiring, hopefully).

Standard practice on motorhomes is to use the dynamo/alternator feed to the ignition light to switch the relay - that way, the relay only comes on when the engine is running.

does anyone have a diagram of the dynamo set up using a standard 30A relay please?
Ive read so many variations im worried i will wire up wrong,

thanks!

LeisurebatteryAlternator.jpg

taken from this post courtesy of Jon (Faux)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts