Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haveacamper said:
Hey Just,

red9 do a aluminium tank. I have bought one for the extra capacity, but it is still boxed up to fit when I return to the UK.

If you do opt for this then just to let you know, the bolt holes around the sender are not tapped they are just through holes. Also you will notice that the tank does not really have any breather holes to maintain atmospheric pressure as once you connect the filler hose, the "breather hose to the filler neck, fuel out and the return to tank (positioned at the top of the fuel tank and pokes throught the firewall once you have drilled a suitable hole for it) it is a closed circuit. I emailed red9 about this before I purchased mine and they said that they have drilled a 6-8mm hole at the top of the filler neck (behind the fuel flap) to maintain atmospheric. not sure thats the best solution, but a solution all the same.

My dad took receipt of the fuel tank and as a retired welding and fabricator of mild, stainless and alu, he said that it looked to be very well made.

I look forward to inspecting on my visit back to UK in July-Sept.

Nath

p.s. if you want to modify the tank to have a breather then doing this before any fuel goes in is an option...

Thanks Nath, the Red9 one was drawn to my attention, they I saw the price :lol:

Maybe some other time.......

Just

So Jason has fitted the gearbox mount, it, like everything else had to be modified to hang the box in the correct position to match the engine mount. Rather than cut the body under the tank he cut an inch out of the mount and made the hangers 8)

Then to make sure its all in-line the block was mocked up.....

Then engine bar fitted, just to make sure

Awesome work :D

So I haven't been on the site for a while and missed so much. John The Horse is having a paint job and now you're having 6 cylinders. Really looking forward to seeing this.

You mentioned fuel tanks, I had mine made by Concept Racing. I reckon the drawings I sent must still exist. Amazing job, not cheap but quality very rarely is. I had my fuel tank out in the lounge one day a couple of visitors thought it was some crazy new coffee table!

I didn't want the fuel sender here but that's where it ended up. If I had another made it would be in the stock position and a few internal mods. And came with threaded Sender hole.

Did my new filler too.

That really is nice welding 8)

A bit rich for me price wise, someone will make a plastic one before long im sure............think i'll wait :lol:

Van not back yet :(

Square not quite ready :( tho the engine that was in the bus is now looking like this

And once the tin is back from the soda blasters will be but in here

Remon T2a said:
Hey what is the status of the 6 cilinders?

Well, it threw a hissy-fit the day before my road trip to the Scottish Highlands this summer, currently its stripped and awaiting a crank. It will be back, bigger and better early next year :msn4: Its been a challenge to say the least :evil:

creationblue said:
Remon T2a said:
Hey what is the status of the 6 cilinders?

Well, it threw a hissy-fit the day before my road trip to the Scottish Highlands this summer, currently its stripped and awaiting a crank. It will be back, bigger and better early next year :msn4: Its been a challenge to say the least :evil:

Shit Just.. :shock: . Did you not go? The weather was brilliant as well, wasn't it?

Well it was tight mate but the stripped engine above got rebuilt on the Wednesday after work and fitted back in the bus Friday afternoon :shock:

We hooked up the trailer and went!

As you can see it was positively balmy :lol:

It's always nice to see that some things still are happening out there. Glad I came across you write up. My first VW transfusion was on a 1963 spit window in 1968. A 140 hp Corvair with automatic. Along long time ago. And what I'm I doing now?? VW bay windows with Subaru's with flip R& P's trannies and one I'm doing is even getting the full Subaru AWD system.

After almost 50 years I wish I could get this shit out of my blood and just sit on the front porch in a rocker like old men should do. Keep up the good work.

Steve

busyguyfish said:
It's always nice to see that some things still are happening out there. Glad I came across you write up. My first VW transfusion was on a 1963 spit window in 1968. A 140 hp Corvair with automatic. Along long time ago. And what I'm I doing now?? VW bay windows with Subaru's with flip R& P's trannies and one I'm doing is even getting the full Subaru AWD system.

After almost 50 years I wish I could get this shit out of my blood and just sit on the front porch in a rocker like old men should do. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Hi Steve

Sounds like I could have done with your advice last year when I was fitting this up! An AWD Bay?? 8)

As for putting your feet up on the porch, only when your admiring your hard work :D

creationblue said:
So Jason has fitted the gearbox mount, it, like everything else had to be modified to hang the box in the correct position to match the engine mount. Rather than cut the body under the tank he cut an inch out of the mount and made the hangers 8)

Then to make sure its all in-line the block was mocked up.....

Then engine bar fitted, just to make sure

Awesome work :D
hey Justin, just been through your thread . your bus has come along way .
have you any better pics of gearbox mount. as I'm fitting a 02 box to mine after I get a rebuild and a 2ltr diff fitted

Hi mate

You wont really need the extra mount with the 02 box when your running T1 engine, VW added it when coupled with the heavier T4 lump. If however you feel like fitting it you will have to remove the tank and weld in some spreader plates to take the load then make some brackets to bolt to the ears on the gearbox, no better pics sorry but fairly straightforward. Mine was made more difficult as it needed shortening to match the corvairs engine position.

Just

want to fit one as don't like the idea of box hanging down when engine is removed.
I know you can put on axle stand but if your out in the wild its hard to do.

Finally took delivery of this yesterday

Once it has be ground to take the oversized main bearings it's all systems go again :D

Fingers crossed there won't be any further hurdles in the Corvair engine saga!

Latest posts