Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robins said:
is that the left overs of your dinner on the table.....

:lol: the guy filled the box up with expanding foam, and whilst it did a great job of protecting the crank he didn't tape the oil galleries :msn4: Anyway all cleaned and ready for a grind 8)

3375897835_0d07549bf5_m.jpg

Hope all goes well Justin.
Your reg always reminds me of my lovely 71 westy

cotswoldiver said:
3375897835_0d07549bf5_m.jpg

Hope all goes well Justin.
Your reg always reminds me of my lovely 71 westy

Thanks David, Im hoping this year is more successful than last :roll:

That was a nice Bus for sure.......

So bit of an update

Corvair take two! Roll the clock back a year and the excitement of the rebuilt corvair engine was short lived. 500miles to be exact! I haven't been able to get to the bottom of why or who's to blame for the engine eating itself and to be honest as I've got older there are some things you just have to put down to experience and either through the towel in or sup it up and have another go. In for a penny, in for a pound I started to buy the engine parts needed for the second rebuild.

Around Christmas last year I discovered the crank was to far scored to be reground so had to find a 110 crank, fortunately a guy in Canada did me a great deal on a used one and shipped it to me, it took 6 weeks!! But at least it was cheap :lol:

I decided to buy updated pistons and conrods this time for the belt and braces approach and 3 weeks ago the engine was built and installed back into the bus.

The remote oil filter had been fitted under the battery tray making things a lot neater this time around.

so we went down to the south coast taking it easy and running in the motor. Firstly I've missed the sound of this beast of an engine, I absolutely love the burble and rasp of the big 6. Secondly the mountainous torque makes it a joy to drive with the 6rib box, anyone who has one knows the jump from 2nd to 3rd gear is too big for most engines and you get bogged down or stuck inbetween gears, now put it in 4th gear at 1500rpm and she just pulls!

So the trip down was uneventful, I was listening out for noises and feeling for hesitations as is common with a new build but the carburation seams spot on and not so much as a tiny oil leak which on a corvair as much as a vw is quite unheard of! Also tick over is smooth and sits at around 700rpm even when hot, which I find with ICTs/IDFs is difficult to achieve due to expansion of the linkages (well maybe that's just me).

So we had a good 5 days at Seatown in Dorset.... Or did we....

I was surprised to see mr AA and the rest of the campsite assumed it was for the old vw! But alas is was the ford next to us :lol:

So I've done about 400miles, used it last week as a daily for work and it's going great, only revved it to 3000 so far which is 52mph in top gear, so will drop the oil next week then start getting some more out of it as I build up my confidence.

off to Bristol volksfest tomorrow (round trip of 8miles) and can't wait 8)

Thanks for reading 8)

Engine looks sweet mate. I was thinking about it the other day as they were restoring a corvair on wheeler dealers :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

67westy said:
Engine looks sweet mate. I was thinking about it the other day as they were restoring a corvair on wheeler dealers :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Same here Adam, although never realised the original origins of the big six engine before - glad the engine is sorted now Justin top work!
I wish there were more buses running corvair power so I could experience the torque - must be awesome
Nice work and those pistons look just the ticket!

Do you have any other pics of the "dirty" parts going back together? Cant beat a bit of engine action

Looking forward to catching up with you all in a couple of weeks at DATC 8)

Thanks guys

I missed that Wheeler Dealers episode! I was chatting to a couple on Saturday from Cornwall who have a cracking Greenbrier (awesome van) who told me about it.

I'm looking forward to getting some miles on it and the confidence that come with it so I can move on tbh. The next big trip is Camper Jam, Ill probably leave the oil change till after that trip and see where we are then.

I will try and get round to taking a vid of the engine running for those interested, it does sound smooth I must admit 8)

No oily pics sorry Stu, I didn't witness any of the building this time round, I will ask Jason if he has any to send tho.

Been slowly using more revs to bed the rings in and tonight I thought I'd give it some, well at about 4000rpm the clutch slips like fook as the peak power comes in :lol:

Luckily there is plenty more adjustment in the cable. Back on the ramps tomorrow 8)

I should really keep an eye on what the Corvair is doing at the back so invested in one of these

I'm having 2 x 14mm ring thermocouples made that will bolt on to a spark plug on both heads. Will be a good indication of whats going on. Next up a pressure gauge.....

Latest posts