Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so these arrived today. Can finally loose the adaptors on the rear and give the rear brakes some overdue love

IMG-2120.jpg
Not cheap but beautifully made aren’t they 👌🏻

Very nice. Are you keeping same wheels or on the hunt for some new wheels.
As you know I have been on the look out for something else but tbh I still love these wheels and I think they suit the early's lines real well. Sooo they will be staying! Also they've been on for around 10 years now so I can't change them 🤷‍♂️

Bit of an update. CJ Motors supplied the late bay stub axles and mocked up the CSP drums, the axles are 30mm shorter than the early ones and with some machining to the diameter and length of the nose of the drum the wheel caps will fit perfectly.
Note, bearings for late and early stub axles are the same so didn’t need changing.

IMG-2213.jpg

Whilst there I got a leaky cylinder and the drive shaft boots of course are shot! Standard really!

Failed with the Red9 bevel box due to it requiring considerably more work than it should but we have a plan and will get that fitted and working in the coming weeks.

Thanks to Nick & Teddy for the work so far

I'm glad you are doing this right now so i can learn whats involved.
I have the same CSP drums on standby, but it bothered me that flat4 fuchs caps won't fit or have to use some deep ones if i just fitted these drums directly.

So have i understood correctly; apart from machining my CSP drums snout down, the only other parts i require are the late bay stub axles?

All other 68-70 stuff can be used as is?

Andrew

Last edited:
I'm glad you are doing this right now so i can learn whats involved.
I have the same CSP drums on standby, but it bothered me that flat4 fuchs caps won't fit or have to use some deep ones if i just fitted these drums directly.

So have i understood correctly; apart from machining my CSP drums snout down, the only other parts i require are the late bay stub axles?

All other 68-70 stuff can be used as is?

Andrew
Hi Andrew. Yes this is correct, I’ve got ‘73 stub axles and they fit with the early inner & outer bearings, these axles are 30mm shorter than the early ones. Should be fitted shortly so will report back, changing a leaky cylinder and some perished drive shaft boots whilst I’m at it

Thanks Justin,

Appreciate that & any pointers learned during the swap, it would get us one step closer to getting our choice of wheels/tyres finally on & looking the way i want it to.
I've never touched the rear drums at home because I haven't had the tools to do it, that coupled with the faf of getting the wheels actually off of a lowered van..... CJ Motors are carrying out this work for me and they said it was a straight forward swap when they mocked it up so you shouldn't encounter any difficulties.

Latest posts