Squealing From Rear End & Can't remove Wheel??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maz

Reaction score
Over the last weekend, I seem to have developed a loud noise from my rear suspension. I can only describe it as a
squealing kind of noise from the n/s rear.

This happens when pulling away, going round right hand bends and over bumpy road surfaces. I thought maybe a squeaky
shock absorber, as it seems to only do it when the rear is under pressure??

I did try to have a look today, however I couldn't even get the wheel away from the hub :?: I tried everything from taking the
rear shock mount off to hitting it bloody hard, it just wouldn't budge. I run JGE Torkers but just cannot seem to think why they won't move.

Any suggentions much appreciated :D

Matt

Could be a little bit of galvanic corrosion.
Basically the alloy and the steel reacts and they stick themselves together with rust. This is why on most modern cars you should apply a thin smear of copper slip on the face where the wheel meets the drum or the disc. (although apparently not on merc sprinters so I've been told)
I usually get this problem on most BMWs or Mercs we get in. The best way to remove is to take the wheel bolts out, but put two in opposite each other and screw them in about 4 or 5 turns. These are basically to catch the wheel when it releases and stop it dropping face down on the floor.
With the vehicle jacked up and on axle stands, slide underneath and kick seven shades of shit out the tyre with the sole of your boot.
You can also squirt in a bit of penetrating oil between the wheel and drum and leave it to sit for a while before starting.

Make sure its secure on the axle stands though!

(and its much easier with the standard height vehicle! :p )

whs
safe working area and five cans of stella act a twat and pick a fight with the back of the wheel :lol: :lol:

if its owt like a ford mondeo i just checked the front wheel for a similar squeal and the brake pads were missing :shock: plates were there but pads awol :roll:

good luck and try to lie with just your leg under the bus to kick the tyre..... that way you can easily scream for help if your leg cushions your vans fall from the axle stand :lol: :lol: ;)

or loosely fit the 5 bolts and just drive the bus back and forth on the drive or up and down the street...just enough to break the grip....even bump it off a curb just for that sharp jolt....

Thanks for your replies....looks like I will have a busy morning tommorow if I want to make Stanford Hall camping!!

As for the noise, would it be possiblke that its the shock squeaking?? I looks as though the shock is very tight on the chassis
coausing it to rub when going up and down.

Thanks guys, I seem to have cured the noise now with a big hammer :)

As for the wheel, I couldn't shift it so went over to kwik-fit to see if they could do it, first of all they said they couldn't get it on the ramp and secondly they'd just hit it with a rubber mallet, which is what I'd been doing yesterday.

I also took it for a drive with the wheel bolts loose and bumped up a few curbs but still hasn't budged.

I'll get some wd40 on it today and kick the shit out of it tonight :)

Try lemon juice instead of wd 40,, smells nice too. :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

PS,,, don`t leave it on too long without rinseing (aceeeeeedddddd) :lol: 8) :lol:

ProfessorWheeto said:
Could be a little bit of galvanic corrosion.
Basically the alloy and the steel reacts and they stick themselves together with rust.

Old Land rovers suffer from this on the body work. Aluminium panels and steel rivets :roll:
Good ol' British engineering :lol:

Karl

Latest posts