Stainless exhaust for my 68 bay.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowvan1

Reaction score
Started work on the van again after time out for house renovations. Would like some advice on what stainless steel exhausts are available for a 68 bay.
The engine is a 1955cc with bolt on sump.
Two spline drop at the back.
I need a minimum 1 1/2" bore but do not require an ear bleeder of a muffler.
Any help and advice is welcome.
Thanks
Yellow

Hi there

I can recommend the vintage speed zorst, I have the super flow hideaway one and it's a great piece of kit 8)

http://www.vintagespeed.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=138&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan simpson is their main uk agent 07974272357 :mrgreen:

Check with a local custom exhaust company if you want something a bit different than the norm. I spoke to my local and they said its normally about £400 for a bay, last time I looked VS were about £330?

Thanks for the advice. I've checked out the vintage speed with hidden tail pipe. Looks well made and is good for 125 bhp.
The only problem I can see now is that normal heat exchangers will restrict my exhaust flow. Have you any advice experience of the bigger diameter heat exchangers.

Thanks Yvm.

Stock exchangers will work fine unless your going racing and regularly going over 5000 rpm.
It is worth checking where the flange is welded to the pipe though, sometimes the weld needs grinding back to the diameter of the pipe.

Thanks. My engine has just arrived at VW performance today. Daz did mention that the standard exchangers will restrict the flow a little. I don't know if I am being to anal about getting the best performance. Bigger bore exchangers are expensive and there are more items on my wish list.

Yellow_van_man70 said:
Thanks. My engine has just arrived at VW performance today. Daz did mention that the standard exchangers will restrict the flow a little. I don't know if I am being to anal about getting the best performance. Bigger bore exchangers are expensive and there are more items on my wish list.

I know how you feel. I went through much the same when I built my engine.

Because the exchangers were quite new I decided to use them on the principal that of I didn't like the result, its easy enough to fit big bore ones. That was seven years ago.

68_early_bay said:
Hi there

I can recommend the vintage speed zorst, I have the super flow hideaway one and it's a great piece of kit 8)

http://www.vintagespeed.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=138&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoke to Dan. What a great guy. Chatted about exhaust and eventually got on to carbs. He might just have a spare pair of 44 idf's going cheaper than 40's at the moment so could be a double bonus. Plus he gives good discount and Daz trusts him so could free up a few quid towards the exhaust price.

Will give the standard heat exchangers a go and get back to you in seven years time.

Thanks

Excuse me jumping in to ask a question..

Am i able to fit 38mm heat exchangers to a stock exhaust, or even one of the stainless stock style exhausts?

Thanks

Yellow_van_man70 said:
68_early_bay said:
Hi there

Spoke to Dan. What a great guy. Chatted about exhaust and eventually got on to carbs. He might just have a spare pair of 44 idf's going cheaper than 40's at the moment so could be a double bonus. Plus he gives good discount and Daz trusts him so could free up a few quid towards the exhaust price.

:mrgreen:

jonboylaw said:
If you plan to fit a tow bar at any point, the hidden pipe VS will not allow for it. The standard exit one will work with a westy type tow bar though.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

4105e2c873c4d45f7ffe8355a0345060.jpg

:msn4:

Latest posts