Starter motor problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit

Reaction score
The starter on my van has not been spinning over so I've Just took it off and tested it and it's working ok put it back on still no good I then go under bus with a bit of wire and bridge it across from connector to the stud and it fires up any ideas? Ignition barrel ? How do I test it ? Thanks

Check your earth strap on the gearbox. Normally on the nose cone. Check for continuity between the chassis and the gearbox case. Then if that's ok, check for 12v at the large red wire at the starter. If that's ok. Try crossing from the main positive to the small wire next to it. Oh make sure it is out of gear before you start! The thin wire on the starter is the live from the ignition. Test that for 12 volts when someone holds the ignition in the start position. If there is nothing there then it is your ignition. Hope this makes sense.

Ive got the wire from the ignition housing compete if you want it fella it lying in my garage you can have it if you want.

goerdie

Could be your starter motor bush in the gearbox bell housing has worn oval and not making an earth

kid rock said:
Check your earth strap on the gearbox. Normally on the nose cone. Check for continuity between the chassis and the gearbox case. Then if that's ok, check for 12v at the large red wire at the starter. If that's ok. Try crossing from the main positive to the small wire next to it. Oh make sure it is out of gear before you start!

The thin wire on the starter is the live from the ignition. Test that for 12 volts when someone holds the ignition in the start position.

If there is nothing there then it is your ignition. Hope this makes sense.

Did you get 12v directly from the Ignition switch no issues?

All sorted a extra solenoid had been fitted just took it out and bypassed it

Latest posts