steel wheel advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shea

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm interested in buying these steel wheels, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321643950913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I have a few questions

Is this the average price for refurbed steel wheels?

The guy said "the width is 6 inches so that would make it a 14 x 5j" I have some nice white walled tyres that are on 14 x 5.5" steels at the moment. their sizes are 185 r14 and 175 65 r14, would they fit these wheels?

Thanks!
Shea.

shea said:
Hi there,

I'm interested in buying these steel wheels, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321643950913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I have a few questions

Is this the average price for refurbed steel wheels?

Meh. They're not horrendously priced, but the previous owner won't be losing any money on them. You can get a wheel shot blasted and powder coated for £45 a wheel easily. So, £180. But then you've got the hubcaps- if they're original, well worth the £115. If they're Taiwanese crap, they're worth a tenner each and be grateful that they're not rotten.

The guy said "the width is 6 inches so that would make it a 14 x 5j" I have some nice white walled tyres that are on 14 x 5.5" steels at the moment. their sizes are 185 r14 and 175 65 r14, would they fit these wheels?

maximum recommended tyre width on a 5j rim is 185mm, so no problems.

Thanks!
Shea.

Thanks for the advice :) I've asked the guy if the caps are genuine or not, I'll see what he says. Would have preferred some steels in pearl white so if the caps aren't genuine I might just try and source a set that needs a refurb.

I've just been quoted £25 per wheel shot blasted and powder coated without tyres, £30 a wheel with tyre fitting for my steels

most folk given the opportunity go up to 15 " from 14......available in 205 and as solids (no hole pattern] and ready for dome chrome caps......you can also find 4's and 4.5's if you look hard....they look good up front with 5'5's at the rear
this has beetle (oval) steels on it.....although on v low profile tyres because its slaaammmed :D

/url]

You list your bus as a 71 yet these are wide 5's so are you sure they will fit?, your bus is narrow 5, these are wide 5

I was planning on getting 5x112 to 5x205 adapters to work with the wheels, justKampers and limebug sells them.

Ok just be aware that this will increase your track front and rear,

pinstriper said:
most folk given the opportunity go up to 15 " from 14......available in 205 and as solids (no hole pattern] and ready for dome chrome caps......you can also find 4's and 4.5's if you look hard....they look good up front with 5'5's at the rear
this has beetle (oval) steels on it.....although on v low profile tyres because its slaaammmed :D

/url]

Lovely looking bus you've got there, I'm lowering my bus as well so thought that if I went for 14" it would allow me to run a higher profile tyre which would hopefully give me a bit more comfort. I also have some white walled 14" tyres I'd like to use. I might still go for 15's but I'd say it would probably be cosmics if I did.

Graham L said:
Ok just be aware that this will increase your track front and rear,

Thanks Graham I realise that, with a narrowed beam I think the front's would be fine but would you see any issues with rears? the adapters are 15mm thick.

shea said:
pinstriper said:

/url]

Lovely looking bus you've got there, I'm lowering my bus as well so thought that if I went for 14" it would allow me to run a higher profile tyre which would hopefully give me a bit more comfort. I also have some white walled 14" tyres I'd like to use. I might still go for 15's but I'd say it would probably be cosmics if I did.
I got some Porsche pattern cosmics going cheap never fitted
5 by 130 remember mint with caps etc 300

Nth

shea said:
I was planning on getting 5x112 to 5x205 adapters to work with the wheels, justKampers and limebug sells them.

I don't think this works. The adaptors are ok for fitting 15" alloys on, but OurBus68 on here tried it with 14" splitty rims and I think it fowled on the brake calliper.

You could send him a shout he's usually lurking on here somewhere.

Sparky.

Latest posts