Steering Box parts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
Hi all, my steering is bloody aweful so ive decided that its about time i sorted it out, im going to try and recondition it myself but i was wondering of any of the parts are available for it (worm gear, bushes, seals etc) or am i going to have to make these myself? Has anybody on here attempted this job themselves before and if you have do you have any hints/tips/photos that will help? I was going to try and just adjust out the play, but i noticed that the main bush has about 0.5mm of wear in it and the oil is dripping out. Thanks earlybayers!

this is quite a good thread for pics and seal sizes..........for late[r] bay steering box

http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=154721&p=2173707&hilit=steering+box#p2173707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with pics here

http://www.justkampers.com/album/paedrig/8321/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks alot dubdubz, is there much difference with a late box? has anyone ever fitted one to an early?

funnily enough my 68 has a late box, as it had all later 71 front beam added including servo, the front valance back is trimmed [read PO hacked it] - I could do a quick pic in the morning?

as far as internally I'm still waiting for Paedrig to dissect one !

Mines leaking seriously, so if you do dismantle and discover, please share your findings.............

Hi!

I think the problem is, is that the worm bit (whatever) the part that wears, it not available any more, and i think the recon boxes you find are either the best bits of a couple of other boxes, or are just filled with grease and adjusted. NOS occasionally crop up from time to time, but are expensive.

There is a chap who remakes the internal for a split screen box, and IIRC a member off here approached him in relation to remake the early bays bits, but unfortunately i can't remember the name of the member, or the company, I have looked through my bookmarks but cant find it.

Some people have converted to a bedford rascal type setup, but this a far bit of fabrication.

My box has a fair amount of play which was mentioned at last MOT, and I'm not sure if it will pass again, it has been adjusted at the garage, but has a slight tight spot in the middle which i dont like, so i may loosen it a bit :shock:

I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to get a new bit tuned up on a cnc machine or something, and heat treated? Maybe something a small company could do a small production run?

Cheers!

Alistair

Does anyone know when VW altered the design for a late bay steering box ? Wot are the differences ?

I managed to source a NOS steering box from France last year. Will let you know how it works out very soon. I've not heard good things about recn boxes (being greased and tightened). I suppose a lowered van will put more stress on the steering box too....

andyo11 said:
Does anyone know when VW altered the design for a late bay steering box ? Wot are the differences ?
I think it was when they went to late bay (73), mines a crossover and im fairly sure it has a early box, i think you can tell because the early box has an aluminium casing and the late has a steel, although i might be wrong about that.

I have a CNC but i dont think it could cope with making a worm gear as its fairly primitive, although i doubt it would cost much to get a sub contract shop to do a load of them, we would just need to get hold of the original drawings, or an unworn one to measure... For now though i will just have to make up some new bushes, they would get rid of alot of the slop, it cannot be any worse that some of the shoddy recon boxes there are about, i read so much about people being charged hundreds for having it packed with grease and adjusted.

luke said:
andyo11 said:
I think it was when they went to late bay (73), mines a crossover and im fairly sure it has a early box, i think you can tell because the early box has an aluminium casing and the late has a steel, although i might be wrong about that.

I have a CNC but i dont think it could cope with making a worm gear as its fairly primitive, although i doubt it would cost much to get a sub contract shop to do a load of them, we would just need to get hold of the original drawings, or an unworn one to measure... For now though i will just have to make up some new bushes, they would get rid of alot of the slop, it cannot be any worse that some of the shoddy recon boxes there are about, i read so much about people being charged hundreds for having it packed with grease and adjusted.

If you do make up some bushes, maybe do a small batch to sell on - you could even offer a rebuild service if you were feeling keen, that'd bring in the money you outlay on the parts.

Cheers!

Alistair

not a bad idea, i will try and remove it one night in the week to have a look, i gather its no easy task though!

I think a good machine shop could make some parts up no bother not that I've had a box apart yet ! its way down on my list atm though :roll:

Heres the thread that mentioned taylor machine service making the worm & pegs:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27976&hilit=worm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a box is needed for initial assessment.

042.jpg

This is the tube style puller that I made from the bottom of an acrow prop to get the arm off the box, to improve it, it could do with a finer thread on the bolt. Tighten, tap, tighten, tap, you get the idea, but when I say tap,,, I really mean whack it. Worked a treat :D

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, now with photys !!! :lol: ;) :lol:

Loxy said:
Heres the thread that mentioned taylor machine service making the worm & pegs:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27976&hilit=worm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a box is needed for initial assessment.

I volunteered my spare steering box condition unknown, but haven't had any takers....

My box is lovely & tight ;)
But I am interested in converting to a power steering rack, so I'm going to be watching mychatype3s conversion on his gallery thread over the coming weeks.

Hello

did anyone do this in the end?

I was having trouble with my box so last night (just before the camping season) decided to take it apart and have a look, this is what I found:
Sorry about the resolution, its a camera phone.

33274e3148700c029.jpg

Key:
1. Worm Shaft End - external
2. Worm Shaft - Internal
3. Drop Arm Shaft
4. Casing / Cover - Brimmed with Grease :?
5. End cap & Shim

33274e314ae26692c.jpg

Heres a close up of the codes on the worm shaft:

33274e31489605fbc.jpg

So after taking mine a part, I realised that all the parts are still really snug and show little sign of wear and the chap who owned the bus before me had packed the box FULL of grease, soemthing that I hear is a no, no.

I seemed to have oil / liquid leaking from the end cap. Now I was expecting to find a seal when I took off the end cap, but instead I found a metal shim.

I did notice that on the top external shaft of the worm shaft there are two seals - one has perished slightly but not by much. Does anyone know where I can get these from?

I hope this helps someone - and then someone can help me!? Its a karma thing. :lol:

just contacted VW Heritage and they do the Worm Drive Shaft seal:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Steering-Boxes-Tierods-and-Dampers_act_page.render_pageID_296_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts