Steering box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_troupster

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

A new noise has developed... A click/clunk from bottom of steering column that can most definatly be felt through the steering wheel. It only started a few days ago, but I can only presume this isn't going to go away without redeamial work. This and the gearbox were the only things I didn't overall a couple of years back during is resto.

So, what are my options? Is it worth trying to adjust? Should I just stump up for a recon unit? Where's best for these? Etc etc...

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Try adjusting it and if that doesn't work it could be wear on the worm/peg. Also probably worth checking the rest of the steering components first to make sure it's not something prematurely worn.

I got my dad to machine a flat on the peg when I had tight spots in the steering and it's surving ok so far, the recon units seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity as the spares just aren't available.

I ordered a recon box from Megabug today so I'll let you know what it's like - although it won't be fitted for another 3 weeks or so.

Mine does that clunking thing, i did adjust it before fitting new beam and centre pin but its doing it again now. Looking at the box it appears to be the bushes worn as apposed to the worm gear, i can see side to side movement on the output shaft

67westy said:
...I got my dad to machine a flat on the peg when I had tight spots in the steering and it's surving ok so far...
Really? So your peg can't now spin round? I had the flat (wear) turned on mine so it was round again and could spin as designed. The clunk was the wear, but adjusting it to the worn flat made it jam up sometimes - it would only adjust until the nose of the peg hit the bottom of the worm slot. I wouldn't fancy driving yours waiting for that to happen one day. :shock:

Hopefully I misunderstood what you wrote...

I hope so! :lol:

I did the same and 4,000 miles on I thought I detected the tiniest suspicion of new wear the other day. At some point I must have a look and see how it's faring.

Anyone got a picky of the worm peg that wears out in these boxes?
Also can these be lathed back into shape if theyre now defunked and not re-manufactured?

Rich

Crap I meant the flat was machined out of the peg not into it :) it's now round!

Here's a pic of the flat, the maching was done on a home lathe so it's doable if you want to try :)

IMG_20120122_141632.jpg

We knew really ;) - only commented for anyone reading and just starting to think about this. Here's mine - could be the same one. :lol:
DSCF3661.jpg
I've done 4,000 miles. You?

ZedBed said:
We knew really ;) - only commented for anyone reading and just starting to think about this. Here's mine - could be the same one. :lol:
DSCF3661.jpg
I've done 4,000 miles. You?

Is that the common part in these boxes that go?
Can they not just be repaired on a lathe providing they havent been driven to destruction?

Rich

If you read the thread not just look at the pictures :msn4: you'll find that's exactly what we've both done. :lol:

Hence my question to 67 Westy about his miles since refurb.

When I got my bus the steering box had an awful MOT failing flat spot, felt proper f*@ked to me.
I had it reconditioned by http://www.power-steering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in May 2010, this was originally a temporary measure to get my bus on the road while I tried to source a good box.
No idea what they did to it.... you do hear horror stories about refurbs full of sawdust and grease.... straight out of Grapes of Wrath :shock:
However 5000+ miles on it still feels good, drives straight and turns corners nicely.
I don't really think about it too much anymore..... fingers crossed!

Lol thanks for the input guys. I'll start by checking the fluid when I get under her for a service this weekend. Must admit, not noticed it last couple of days. But as I said up top, its not an item I went through during the resto so its a bit of an unknown quantity. I'm not even sure how the mechanism works. Anyone got any more pics/diagrams to hand to satisfy my curiosity?

Cheers
Jim

The shaft in the pics sticks through the chassis with the drop arm on the end.
The worn bit locates in the channel of the worm or screw which is on the end of the steering wheel.
Sorry I didn't take any other pics. I also replaced the two seals - the numbers are written on them.

I'be only done about 1000 miles so far as the bus hasn't had much use this year. So far so.good though.......

I don't think I got any other pictures but will check later. It's all very simple on there though. I have the seal numbers on a thread if you need them

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts