steering colum and horn

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
i know its not easy to tell from pics but have i put this back together rite as i am sure the colum felt alot tighter if that makes sence allso the horn wireing ,i have run a cable down the cntr of colum shaft and from what i can make out this goes through the cntr of the coupling bush with an eye terminal on and bolts to the steering box (how much slack do you leave as it will turn with the wheel :? ) the terminal in the outer tube broke so i managed to drill the rivet out and pot rivet a terminal to this which goes to the horn i think (ive left cables hanging under bus at the mo till i fit new loom) none of this probaly makes sence but ive put some pics up if you could cast your eye over

Looks right to me, liking the polished ignition too 8)

The cable up the centre doesn't get twisted as the whole lot rotates with the wheel so no need for masses of slack as long as it's neat and out of the way of the horn push.

89Rallye said:

The cable up the centre doesn't get twisted as the whole lot rotates with the wheel so no need for masses of slack as long as it's neat and out of the way of the horn push.
It's the buy the coupling that bothers me ,does it not get caught up

dub boy said:
89Rallye said:

It bolts to the coupling, so the whole lot spins anyway.

89Rallye said:
dub boy said:
89Rallye said:

It bolts to the coupling, so the whole lot spins anyway.
All the threads I've looked at tell you to attach it to the steering box ? :?

yea the one that goes up the steering column to the button connect it to the bolt which connects the steering box flange to the rubber donut thing

the one from the outer tube thingy goes to the horn

bluenose said:
yea the one that goes up the steering column to the button connect it to the bolt which connects the steering box flange to the rubber donut thing

the one from the outer tube thingy goes to the horn
Rite ile change it tomorrow ,the thread I found said take a nut off the steering box and attach it to that

Did you see my thread on this, might help: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38480&p=322833&hilit=horn#p322833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

67westy said:
Did you see my thread on this, might help: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38480&p=322833&hilit=horn#p322833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did ,very helpfull where did you attach your cable that runs down the shaft ?

That cable goes onto the steering box side of the steering coupling, that way it moved at the same rate of the steering wheel and doesn't get tangled with the terminal that sticks out of the outer column tube. It is also the earth connection as the steering box is connected to the chassis.

^^^^ what he said :lol:

This picture shows it attached, it's looking down at the top of the steering coupling and as you can see the wire sits underneath the coupling bolting between the coupling and steering box:

IMG_2449.jpg

67westy said:
^^^^ what he said :lol:

This picture shows it attached, it's looking down at the top of the steering coupling and as you can see the wire sits underneath the coupling bolting between the coupling and steering box:

IMG_2449.jpg
Think I've got it now ,I left it today as I couldn't stand the stink of the farmer spreading muck anymore ,hopefully if dry tomorrow ile crack on

As Sam said, fell foul of this myself as none of the manuals care to mention this... Also ensure you route the terminal through the lug/loop inside the cap to prevent the wire catching on the coupling bolts and removing itself as you turn the wheel... Again self learnt

I got the genuine one from heritage in the end (avoid status!). The repro ones are less than half the price but cause issues at least they did for me:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Steering-coupling-T2-68-79-GENUINE-VW-5-211415417_act_shop.product_pID_40514.htm?crumbStartPage=3&crumbStartRow=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

67westy said:
I got the genuine one from heritage in the end (avoid status!). The repro ones are less than half the price but cause issues at least they did for me:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Steering-coupling-T2-68-79-GENUINE-VW-5-211415417_act_shop.product_pID_40514.htm?crumbStartPage=3&crumbStartRow=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
same as what i fitted ,theres a few horror stories on here of guys scratching there heads and all the time its the coupling shorting out :shock: good old repro parts again.

Latest posts