Trying to get me horn working

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr00veg0d

Reaction score
Getting my US import ready for its first UK MOT - horn not working :?

Tested the horn - it does work, checked the live feed to it too, the problem is down to the earth wire connection at the bottom of the steering column, basically the ground wire coming from the horn stops there with a spade connector on it but not connected to anything!

Been searching through the techie archives and in this post http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46792&hilit=horn+earth I found the comment "...the wire that comes from the horn is conected to a spade terminal riveted to the bottom of steering column tube"

I seem to be missing the spade terminal connector altogether (broke off?) :( can anyone suggest an alternative location to connect it to? Or do I have to buy a new steering column tube?

thanks

You can get the spades for pop riveting (I have some some where) but I'd fit a self tapper for now till the MOTs out of the way

Araon said:
You can get the spades for pop riveting (I have some some where) but I'd fit a self tapper for now till the MOTs out of the way

ok - will i need to remove the column to fit it? I'm guessing so cos I can't see the original hole :shock:

I riveted a ring crimp on years ago and horn has worked without problem since.

I've never removed steering column so that wasn't necessary .. I either removed just the indicator and detached column from dash or I took steering wheel off as well.

sorry I can't remember exactly!

That spade connector is so fragile and then the earth wire got caught up when you turn the steering wheel so I put a new earth through to a spare hole in the dash and wired it up to a doorbell :) It makes me smile :D

No need to remove column, it goes at the bottom of the column on the outside. You just need to lever off the plastic collar at the base to reveal all. At the front (towards the windscreen) should be the spade terminal or rivet hole if missing.

davechorlton said:
No need to remove column, it goes at the bottom of the column on the outside. You just need to lever off the plastic collar at the base to reveal all. At the front (towards the windscreen) should be the spade terminal or rivet hole if missing.

Thanks dude, I'll go do some investigation

Latest posts