steering column wiring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb63

Reaction score
Long time no post...
I've just had an MOT failure on the horn not working, friendly electrician reckons the loom in the steering column needs replacing as shorting has melted insulation etc. Indeed it used to sound the horn when turning, indicating etc so that was probably the cause, a reasonably common problem I gather. Anyhows, he reckons he heard of a company that supplies just that section of loom incl. ignition, indicators and horn but he can't remember it and I can't find it. Any ideas, guys? Mines an RHD '72 crossover BTW.

Cheers and good to see some of you at the 'breeze (though strangely not Mr and Mrs Ego, although their bus was there!)

auto elec wrong as steering column live fed from wire connected to spade terminal on outer column ,live feed goes to horn ,wire to column goes to earth,if burnt out horn would work all time .check fuses ,check feed to horn {ignition live).common fault wire come of bottom of outer column done any work here?or link wire across steering cupling.get your multi meter out and do continuity tests(not got one and you own a bus :!: )good hunting :lol:

as above what can happen :oops: if too rough the spade breaks and its sounds very much like thats whats happened here if the outer tube is a little loose...... if thats the case either rivet a new spade or as I am doing fit a ring and self tapper

to pass the MOT.. just put a button on the dash within arms reach of the driver. and connect that to the horn and an earth.

Latest posts