Steering wheel movement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysummers

Reaction score
Little Village on the MidWest Wales Coast
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Steering wheel movement as a problem. I've taken off the wheel etc. and it reveals a "lock" washer ? easily taken out and underneath it a brass bush. This brass bush isn't tight, has play and spins if I encourage it too. Question is, (until I receive my Haynes from Amazon), is there a tension spring holding this whole caboodle down ? Because if I put slight pressure on the washer with a screwdriver it seems to solve the problem of movement in the steering column. I know bluebird and vw heritage do a bush replacement but both look different. Any ideas please.

Sounds like you just want the spring to hold the bush down and all should be ok
DSC00681.jpg

as far as i know Heritage don't list them

OK So now I realise the little spring is an elusive item. I've trawled the net to no avail. Is there an answer to this dilemma and am I ever going to avoid the movement that exists in the steering wheel. Any Ideas ?

Dad's a retired engineer with a thousand gizmos. However......it took his socket set only with a universal joint connection between the bar and socket. This gave great purchase for angled perfection. Sweet as a nut....'scuse the pun.

Update........Received the spring and washer from a company called Wagenteile, in Germany. Found them after a couple of days trawling the internet. I've still got to fix the spring and washer but I am visiting me dear old Dad at the weekend and I'll use his tools. (An engineers are so much superior to my cheap and cheerful nasties). Don't own a 27mm socket anyway !! The cost of these two parts was far less than the postage. 2 euros each. The whole caboodle of parts and delivery came to 11 euros so it's easy to see the cost of shipping. I suppose it's worth considering more parts to cut down on this cost in future.....but, in all reality, what is the true cost of a solid steering wheel and the safety it brings. I reckon 11 euros is a bargain. Good fortune all. Here's the web address..... http://www.wagenteile.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats great news graysummers, erm don't suppose you can list any part numbers or did you ring them? Can't seem to find it on their site or am i being dumb :oops:

Gareth

I've sent you a PM Gareth with a bit more information. Anyone reading this needs to tap into the British flag in the corner of their website to read English information and press "contact" for their e-mail. They sent me a quote and info when I described the part needed. As I Said.....nice bunch of fellas.

Done.Sweet. Tight and no more steering wheel movement. But.....Now I've gone and got no full beam coz the "click" on the indicator stalk, when "shufftied upwards", has disappeared. These EB's.......... Anyone got any ideas ?

glad you sorted that! Could it be a wire thats come adrift from the stalk? I had that the last time i took the switch off

Just got my wheel off! Doesn't appear to be a spring, maybe missing the washer too, so thanks gray for sourcing the bits!

The spring....you can't miss because it's a big old thing. The washer lies just beneath it and has 3 semi circular "cut outs" and a split in it. There is nothing that lies on top of the spring other than the steering wheel. Once fitted, it is as solid as a rock. Watch out when you put the indicator "switch off" back on. It is a metal flat "lug" extension that sits to the left next to the indicator housing. This allows automatic indicator turn off. And position the indicator box well because I cocked up at first and the whole damn thing moved about when I was switching on my indicators. It's ok now though. Good luck.

Well i finally got my spring and control ring, so hopefully once they are in the play will be gone!

Only just got round to refitting the control ring and spring, all slop gone now! And I fitted the removed turn signal cancelling ring, wow its like a modern vehicle being able to turn the indicator off by itself :lol:

Latest posts