Steering Wheels...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedwell68

Reaction score
Can anyone offer answer this question on VZI, as the guy is trying to sell me that wheel. I haven't managed to get mine off yet to be able to compare. So my question is, Will that wheel fit my '68?

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=343171

If it is the softer "Deluxe" wheel it won't fit your early bay. You will need to change the centre shaft whic is thinner. I don't remember the sizes of them though.
I did it with mine and the difference is worth all the effort I promise.
dash1.jpg

check the part number under the horn push, the part number looks the same but the letter at the end defines which one you have.
the splines changed 3 times while the wheel looked the same!

Bear in mind that the later 'soft' wheels break down after a while though and come off in your hands when damp!

Its probably of little help, but just in case - my April 1971 wheel is part number 211 415 651 D, so as slammedkustom has said I guess you will need either no letter at all or "A", "B" or "C" for yours - good luck

ive fitted one of them mountry steering wheels to mine, feels dead racy!!!!

Measure the diameter of the shaft. You can also count the splines on the shaft and compare them with the grooves on the wheel that is for sale. A real mine field here. If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably after a 'D' - the rarest of the lot.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm not gonna bother now, the guy selling it wants daft money for it. Specially as I have discovered it is the same wheel I was offered the week previously for £10.

Latest posts