Stereo Fitment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbob

Reaction score
Hiya.
Ive decided to get a new stereo and have removed the old cassette player but there is a wee difference in the size.

The cage that has come with the new one, there is a couple of mm difference that needs to be taken off - my question to you guys, is - what is the best tool to get rid of this without making a mess of the dash.

Also, is the cage that comes with it enough to support the stereo?????

Cheers guys!

Ouch dont declare that one too loudly you'll have them onto ya for suggesting cutting the dash....

too be honest if its only a couple of mill a coarse hand file will power through it in a minute or two and yep thats all there is old heavier stlyle units usually came with a multi holed bar that was used to provide further stability and secured with a screw to the earth point then elsewhere on the dash.

Araon they wont be saying Start ya bastard , theyll be saying stop the bastard. :lol: ;) Frankie.

Mine was a little more than a couple of mm, a file would take ages so I picked up a pair of off white L brackets in B&Q
and mounted the stereo under the dash, glovebox side.

Please dont cut the dash it is nice 8)

You could always swap the dash for another thats been cut already......the only problem is that most tend to muller the aperture rather than take it out to the nice rectangular shape just big enough for the holder.....

wish I'd kept the pic of mine what a state looked like a cold chisel had been taken to it, no option but to cut the lot out....

fitted mine in glovebox and left the period one in place, if some thieving scum looks in with an eye for a stereo they would (hopefully) leave yours alone and look for another unfortunate victim!

dave said:
fitted mine in glovebox and left the period one in place, if some thieving scum looks in with an eye for a stereo they would (hopefully) leave yours alone and look for another unfortunate victim!

Although the value of your original one is probably almost as much as the modern one now ;)
Just hope they arent well read thieves - could be one of the 3,000000000 hits a month we get :shock:

Also worth noting that if the stereo is a bit big, it may not fit in the space left by the rubber, that is if you have a rubber dash!

You can get a really neat thin cut with a dremel you can get really thin cutting discs but be prepared to change them regularly secret is light contact at high speed,Frankie.

Frankie said:
You can get a really neat thin cut with a dremel you can get really thin cutting discs but be prepared to change them regularly secret is light contact at high speed,Frankie.

spot on frankie, i actually did this on the weekend with my dads dremmel and it pissed through the metal dash with ease as i needed to take about 3mm off, i then did a tidy up with a light file and put some of the mrs clear nail varnish on to protect the bare metal. :lol:

I fitted a kenwood dvd unit so it is pretty heavy, if you dont have a support bracket nip to B&Q and get some of that strip metal with lots of holes in it and a speed clip. you can bend the metal to shape to support the unit and screw it to either the cage or the van.

Latest posts