Stereo powered by leisure battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69calwesty

Reaction score
Hi there - bit of an electrics novice here.

I have hooked up a head unit in my van and all works nicely - however I want to wire this to the leisure battery (currently wired into the ignition) so that I can have it on when parked up camping.

If I'm correct I need to run a wire from the leisure battery to the head unit. How do I do this? What kind of wire do I need to run and what kind of fuse should I install? I'm guessing I run the new wire into the power terminal which is currently connected to a fuse which runs to the fuse box (and therefore I would imagine runs to the ignition).

Any advice before I dive head first would be great!

Thanks
J

I have run a wire to a new secondry fusebox from the leisure battery, then from here you can run various items - stereo, interior lights, tv etc. ;)

Did a quick google for you..

LeisureWiringDiagram001_zps70034c35.jpg

Taken from HERE

or

radio_2_LB.jpg

HERE

or

InteriorDrawing_medium3.gif

With discussion HERE

hi sorry to be jumping on board.

i am trying to gather all the bits for my split charge system. what relays are people using? are the smartcomm ones the ones to go for?

cheers

hi guys - so i finally got around to doing this weekend. have run a wire from the + of the leisure battery straight to the radio swapping the current 12v supply from the main battery fuse box. The radios working but only when the ignition is on (so i'm guessing this means its not currently a permanent live). I can see there is still another cable running from the main fuse box which must be the ignition power.

how do i change this so that it is permanently live?

second question – once i change this to permanent live will it drain the batteries when the vans not being used? i guess i would need to make sure the radio is always turned off (i don't believe it draws any power when off)

thanks
J

I don't understand. If you've run a wire straight from the battery to the back of the radio then the radio should be on all the time. What exactly have you done?

Is the leisure battery charged and supplying 12V+ across the terminals?

Have you earthed both the battery and the radio?

Check your wiring diagram again just to make sure :D

I think modern radios have two lives one for the memory and one for powering the unit and speakers. The memory live is a permanent live and the other is ignition live, have you perhaps swapped the wrong one i.e. swapped the permanent live from the fuse box for the permanent live from the LB instead of the ignition live feed?

You have two wires one red and one yellow you need to connect both to the leisure battery the yellow one is constant live that keeps the memory for you stations and settings
The red one usually comes live when the ignition is on

The only problem in wiring both is that if you have a modern unit it will stay illuminated even when its off so you will need an inline switch to disconnect the power when not in use.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts