Stick, Twist or BUST!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haveacamper

Reaction score
Ok guys, this is not for a rally of "no dont do that, stick with it". i'm thinking of stopping the restoration and getting a van that is much closer to the finish line and doing what i want to on that.

i'm going to cut to the chase and talk figures.

i have spent £4400 on panels so far
only fitted £350 of those panels to my shell
need to but another £2200 worth of panels.

on top of that, paint, engine, brakes interior and upholstery will cost me £13k

i'm in a dilema of:

1) continue at a slow pace and potentially 18-24month lead time before i get her on the road with total cost of £20k or
2) sell my parts, buy an rust free import (RHD) and carry out my plans on the import. sell panels at £3k,put that towards an import and cut paint, engine etc price to £10. this would mean i could spend up to £10 on an import and still come in under the obscene £20.

i hope that makes sense. the advantages i can see from choosing option 2) over 1) is shorter lead time and less money.

please help guys and girls

NaFe

what, £6600 on panels ? is that a typo ?

i'm sat here with my jaw on the keyboard just looking at that ONE statistic :shock:

i think i'm missing some important 'case history' here... are we talking about a bay bus ?

whatever people's opinions are of stock or custom, early or late and so on, one thing is for sure in this scene as in any other... 'restored' buses aren't worth a fraction of genuine, unrestored, OG, whatever you want to call them buses.

i doubt you'd get much of your money back from selling on the replacement panels to be honest, but if you want your 20 grand bus to be worth 20 grand i'd start off with an unmolested one any day of the week.

like you say, ten grand gets you a 'nice' one (the world's gone mad) and then you've got ten grand left for an engine and some gold brakes :wink:

reading this back i don't mean it to sound as 'arsey' as it does :roll: i just can't get over £6600 on panels :shock:

the councillor said:
what, £6600 on panels ? is that a typo ?

reading this back i don't mean it to sound as 'arsey' as it does :roll: i just can't get over £6600 on panels :shock:

I think haveacamper has slightly over simplified his sums, I believe "panels" also includes mint porsche twist wheels & tyres, carbs manifolds & quite a few other non-panel shaped items.

He does however have 3/4 of a chopped up van as panels in my barn :lol:

oh and look here for case history:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the panels i have bought so far have been one year only 72 cross over so rear corners and arches are alot more etc.the extra £2200 was meant to be £1400 but thats things like pop top canvas, new wiring and all of the bits and bobs to fit ater paint like genuine rubbers etc etc

i what you are saying though about the unmolestered bus. it will be a custom bay but i would like to think to a tasteful standard. well in my eyes

finance aloan, there is only one winner. but this bus did get me around france and italy and its my first ever car - i'm only 23 now - so there is some sentamental value is a sad way. also, its the time and effort i have put into the project so far, along with other people's efforts. also i dont want people to think the "told you so"

also i may be a little shit scared about fitting the front clip, and the rear corners to a high standard that i have tried to set from the outset

NaFe

What about getting it to a "on the road standard" and tarting her up after the summer, it will give you a rest and set your mind for the task ahead or it will asure you that the way forward is to sell and take the financial hit and settle for something else....

thanks for the heads up 8)

crikey, i clicked on the link and i thought "that's a sweet bus" (like you probably did when you bought it i guess) "i wonder where the basket case is he's on about restoring ?"

of course, i'm only at the bottom of page one and already the horrors are starting to unfold :x

i can sympathise... empathise... (?) with you to a degree because as you hint at in your posts you're kind of stuck in no-man's land aren't you ?

if you were staying stock or, you know, *mostly stock but lowered slightly on alloys* like 99% of buses over here, i think it'd be a no-brainer to get a better base, but if you're going custom, 'custom' "custom" or even *custom* you don't want to be getting a nice OG example and then setting about it with the buttoned velour and portholes :oops:

what to do, what to do.

i guess, although it's not much help, that only you know what you mean by *custom* at this stage, so only you can make the decision, but if it's anything other than bolt-on parts then i'd stick with what you've got, for what it's worth.

*nothing like a good 180* :roll:

Carry on as you are I reckon, 18 months and you will have the bus of your dreams with all the sentimentality.
Sure OG busses are more valuable but nicely restored modified busses are just as sought after if not more, due to their greater usability.
The only alternative I can think of would be to sell all your bits and buy something like Scotts very OG Deluxe but would you really want to modify such a time warp machine?
Is a rot free import going to last as long as a properly done uk bus? only time will tell, all I know from being on this site is that some folk like to take a dead or dying bus and bring it back to life and others just like to get one thats very much alive and adding their own pesonallity to them.
Follow your heart I say :wink:

the councillor said:
thanks for the heads up 8)

i guess, although it's not much help, that only you know what you mean by *custom* at this stage, so only you can make the decision, but if it's anything other than bolt-on parts then i'd stick with what you've got, for what it's worth.

*nothing like a good 180* :roll:

Haveacamper & I have talked a lot about his plans & my understanding is that *custom* really means that it probably wont fit into some of the more accepted styles - german, french, cal resto cal etc etc, its going to be his own "thing" - he isnt currently planning on putting many portholes in or going large with the buttoned velour (however you have given me some ideas for my van :shock: ). With the possible exception of a smoothed grill (dont do it) I think it is really going to be bolt on performance upgrades and a quality interior (sounds so simple like that!), I know he wont thank me for saying it but something along the lines of Nellys bus on here with his own personal twist on things.

Araon said:
What about getting it to a "on the road standard" and tarting her up after the summer, it will give you a rest and set your mind for the task ahead or it will asure you that the way forward is to sell and take the financial hit and settle for something else....

I'd go for this option after all the time and effort you, your Dad and Loxy have put into it. I don't think the front clip and rear corners would cause you too much trouble, given the standard of work you've already done. I know it is daunting as these are jobs I've yet to do.
This is your bus after all.
But if you want to get rid of the cargo floor sections, I might know someone who'll take them off your hands. ;)

Loxy said:
With the possible exception of a smoothed grill (dont do it)

x2 :wink:

Haveacamper said:
yes so many things going around in my head. i think its time for one of many nights sleep contemplating what i will do.

ain't that the truth :?

i was up 'til 5:45 this morning planning stuff that i don't know will ever see the light of day :|

Dude,

I just flicked through your resto thread...

What/how many other panels do you have that still need fitting? Surely you've done all the hard work haven't you?

I'm pretty sure that after bodywork/repairs our bus will also end up costing more than if we had bought an SA/USA import - but then we knew that when we bought it.

I'd say that unless your head has been seriously turned by another bus you should carry on.

Hang in there!

Mike

Just a thought
If you buy a import it will need work.The body will be almost rust free but everything else will need doing as usa have no mot in some states so mechanically it will be tired all the rubbers will be perished so replacement is needed unless your lucky the paint will be faided bleeched or have a crap respray so that will need doing and the list goes on this is on top of a high price of buying it.Im in the middle of this and the van body is great but it will still cost an extra £10 to £15 k if you want to do i properly
Just somthing to think about yes a import is a good idea but unless you very lucky and find a well loved one which is rare if its a us import you will still be into alot of money but im not doing mine to sell i want a van thats in nice condition that i can have fun with and it will last a few years
Cheers

I think having read all your posts you need to continue. Stop, have a think collect your thoughts and go forward. As others have said you're done a lot so far. As for the front panel, i'm also not bad with the welding and a little worried about the front panel replacement on mine and have considered a US import. To get over the fear of the front panel i'm thinking about getting this done at a VW garage to kick start the restoration when I start in Dec 09.

Firstly.....you have already put your heart and soul into this one....

Secondly....it will be finished if you just keep at it.

It is really difficult to see an end when your at this stage but you have proved you can do it.

I have done a couple of full (ish) resto's, none this complex but I have been at the point where I have thought " I am going to sell and cut my losses". I'm glad now that I finished them. If I hadn't I could not have afforded to by my cali import with cash. If you tastefully mod your bus it will still command good money (when the financial climate changes). There are often people from outside of the scene looking for cool shiney paint buses, but you will be pushed to get £20k :roll:

Keep it up, when you finish, if you like it keep it and enjoy, if not sell up and buy a better base.

Every day working on the bus will get you one day closer to finishing, Good luck.

(Now you know that buying a dry, solid running bus is the cheapest and best way to go......we all learn this in the end)

i said exactly the same thing a year and a bit ago mate. i had chopped off most of my front end only to find that i couldnt get the parts i needed. i decided to scrap the project and sell the bits id bought. all the guys on here told me to stick with it and im glad i did. im not much fruther down the line than you with my bus and know that it will still cost me a hell of a lot to finish it. there are a few restos running on this forum at the moment that require balls, patience and quite large funding and yours is one of the ones i always look to for inspiration. as i did with alfies bus when he was working on it. camperdan is another resto that i keep a real close eye on. his van as yours did, looked great before he got tucked into it. ive chopped bits off my van which i then wish i hadnt, fitted shit patten parts when i now know that cuts are better. but i will finish it one day and i hope you do yours too. if you bring a van back from the death then i think you have earned the right to customise it, roof chop it, make a soft top from it. im fitting a water cooled motor in mine which i know doesnt fit in with most folks ideas on here, but my van was shot. so i have retained very little of its original running gear. i am interested in your custom ideas as i too will be hoping to stray a little from the path. deluxe styling but then new school porsche wheels, brakes, running gear. and hopefully the biggest tastefull ice intall ever to rock up at uk shows. most usa imports ive seem have been pretty knocked about (americans just cant reverse i think) and the lack of mot doesnt help matters. stick with it mate dont let the previous bodgers of your bus be its downfall.

wow i'm away for a day out of the office and what a response. your thoughts are amazing and thank you all for them so far. i know that i have torn this camper apart and it looks like i have done alot of work, but unfortunately in the great cheme of things I am not too sure i have. this is what i have fitted:

inner B post repair sections
inner Sill left
inner Sill right
Inner Sill strengthener
Side door repair skin (outer 6 Inches)
Side door repair skin (inner)
Outriggers - rear right
outriggers - front left
Outriggers - centre left
Jacking point front left
Jacking point centre left
top hat section
outriggers centre left
Jacking point centre left
outriggers - centre right
outriggers - rear left
jacking point centre right

this is what i have bought and not fitted:

Dellortos
Type4 manifold kit for carbs
Beam Adjusters
Genuine cab floor complete LHD 73-79
Stainless Steel Bolt set for camper
Front inner wheel arch & seat mounting pan
Rear Wheel arch (complete)
B post repair section
outer sill left
Outer Sill right
rear wheel arch outer 21 inches
track cover support channel
battery tray
platform tray
rear valance outer
rearside window repair
gutter roof extension section
inner wing repair panel
steering coupling GENUINE
drop arm repair kit
tie rod fixed
tie rod adjustable
torsion bar cover
torsion arm bush
guide bushh front
boot gear shift
guide bush front
guide bush
Torsion arms with new balljoints
Front clip
1972 only front arches
N/S door
O/S Door
Tailgate
Engine hatch
N/S Corner
O/S Corner
944 front hubs, backing pates and front discs
68-70 front Spindles
Rear Cargo Floor - both halves

and things that i have noted i still need to buy:

petrol tank shelf
rear wheel tubs
rear outer wheel arches
rear bumpstop brackets
c pillars
sliding door sills
fit rigid conduits for cables
prep and paint chassis
front clip
gusset chassis legs
front outer arches
front inner arches
close off b pillars
gearshift
Modify rear cargo floor - LHD to RHD
fit rear cargo floor
modify front cab floor - LHD to RHD
fit front cab floor
rear corners
removable rear valance
inspection hatch
engine compartment
firewall prep
battery trays
accelerator linkage
outer sills
middle panel opposite slider
sliding track area (Both sides)
position propex
fit front brakes
adjustable spring plates
fit rear brakes
brake lines
servo plumbing
fit new driver pedals
steering box
handbrake
dash configuration
weld holes in doors
recon drive shafts
fit spare wheel - underneath/on roofbars
prep and paint gearbox
leading of door frame

not all costing me money, just time, but the majority will cost.

NaFe

Carry on with it,sounds like you've got most of the stuff to do it,kustoms can tend to be cheaper to do.I've just passed the 8 year mark for doing mine,but its only been as and when because customers stuff always comes first.

Steve

Latest posts