Sump stud repair (5 of them!)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Hi all -

The sump studs on my engine have seen better days - I bought it as a recon and it's running great but when it came round to oil change time, the studs all came out with the nuts, most of them had coils of metal on them like they had been threaded - confirmed as I put it all back together and can only get them finger tight without them 'popping' down a thread and not getting any tighter - resulting in all of the oil coming out onto the floor. Less than ideal!

Has anyone had success using just loctite/chemical metal type stuff as a repair when screwing in new studs? Or am I best drilling and tapping for M8 to M6 stud converters? About to pull the trigger on ordering a full set of them just to make sure I've got them if I need them. Also going to buy new M6 studs to see if I have any luck with a standard replace/loctite...

Cheers!

Cheers! Have ordered oversize studs, also ordered regular ones, going to run an M6 tap through the threads and see if I can get regular ones to hold, if not I'll drill and tap for the M8 over size studs.

Just ran a tap through the threads and checked them over - 4 definitely need oversized studs, one is OK, one is the super long one and that one is fine.

Dreading this job!

May take the engine out to make it easier!

Just take it easy and clear the swarf after running a tap through each hole - start undersized and work up gradually
When the ovesized studs go in fit them with some locktite and they will be good for years to come

Started this morning, filled the hole with grease and it's done a cracking job of pulling the swarf out, used a lollypop stick with grease on it to fish a couple of stray bits out of the bottom of the sump.

We'll see how it goes on - may be putting a wanted ad for an engine case up soon! :lol:

Latest posts