Switch to disks at the front

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to go to disks at the front on my '68. I'm on a budget so want to use later bay disks/hubs etc. Does any know of a guide to do this? Or can any one explain what else I need and how to to it? I believe the trailing arms are different as well?

Grateful for an tips and tricks on how to do it!

Cheers

Stu

I don't recall the trailing arms being different, I've just done my 68 with 72 spindles/hubs/disks new brake flexi's and a rework of the brake pipes (although I changed my m/c to a dual circuit servo one too)

Straight forward enough to replace but you need to modify or change you master cylinder too.

Oh and wide 5 adapters if your keeping your old wheels,

Hopefully well worth the hassle,

null_zps47fb07aa.jpg

gvee said:
Mark, where did you get the adaptors and how thick are they?

15mm according to this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-T2-Bay...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d16ad1c6

Mine came second hand as part of a kit, long story short Mark6455 bought the whole setup with dropped spindles for his. I fitted the dropped spindles to his 72 (disks already) in return for all the bits left over 8)

I think most places stock them though but I know that gudgen_boy (link above) always has them on ebay so worth an email.

I did this on my 68. I used Spindles and hubs and calipers from 73+ bay new pipes flexies and dc mc (i had a single circuit mc on there)while I was at it. Then used 15mm adaptors to run wide 5. Disks and adaptors do increase the track though so beware if you are running low. Cost me 300 all in

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

89Rallye said:
gvee said:
Thanks Mark.

Oof, not cheap though... hummm

Not really considering they don't look the most complicated thing to produce,

Confused by the double-negative :?
£85 seems a bit steep to me considering they look like pretty simple items.

gvee said:
89Rallye said:
gvee said:
Thanks Mark.

Oof, not cheap though... hummm

Not really considering they don't look the most complicated thing to produce,

Confused by the double-negative :?
£85 seems a bit steep to me considering they look like pretty simple items.

Pmsl, I've just woken up from nights.... :shock:

I think i deleted a bit there by mistake :lol: and not really sure what is was :roll:

Yes there expensive considering how simple they look to produce but I guess you have zinc plating costs and small production numbers etc to consider.

Latest posts