The AA - parts warranty

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issy

Reaction score
So many times they've refused to pay labour and parts stating wear and tear for various issues (when new bits!) i suppose i was expecting the same today BUT they are paying out for my starter motor and labour costs to fit. Yippee. i think it must depend on what the garage says to the AA parts engineer when they make first contact and whether they quibble or not. Some good news before the garage then bill me separately for welding just to get it through mOT again this year.. Much work to be done .. Actually will be my second resto for van soon .. Had him 20 years and he's a daily driver and parked outside 24/7 which doesn't help.

Still in shOck AA gave in for first time ever when they did not do with brand new carbs failIng last year.. Hmmmm

should not have praised AA warrant / parts as garage just told me they have agreed a price of £85 (book price for time blah blah) max for replacing starter. Just found out now that a previous autoeletrics company welded some part of starter so they have to cut something off to do something else!!!

Does any of this make sense and could somebody elabaorate (perhaps now move to technical admin peeps? please)

Hi mate. If your old starter motor has something welded to it then I can almost guarantee what it is.
There is two bolts that hold the starter motor in, one of them has a half moon shape on the end of it and the original VW starter motor has a special cut out to stop the bolt rotating as you tighten up the securing nut.
Cheap pattern part starter motors not longer have this so I have seen some people weld a lug onto the new starter motor to help with fitting.
Hope this helps and if im right, then the garage are not trying to fob you off :)

+ why should AA breakdown repair cover pay out for brand new carbs failing when all new car parts come with 12 month warranty from the manufacture ?

They refused to cover not on the 12 month issue but that the vehicle was old... I never thought of the 12 month warranty thing at the time but as they were fitted and possibly damaged in fitting by a garage that may not have worked. Anyhow digressing.. Onto my accursed starter motor.

Tha garage has now contacted me to say it's not the right starter motor!! Something to do with 'teeth' not fitting?? I did order starter motor from Machine 7 for 72 bay and said it used to have 1700 engine but now has 1600 engine and I imagine they deal with baywindows all the time so would know which to send. Is there a complication with starter motors for 72 bays! Thanks for previous replies :)

This is the one I ordered

http://www.machine7.com/search.php?xSearch=706.200.40&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Machine 7 not open on weekends it seems :(

Is this an OEM one so the issue about the need for welding and using a lug may not apply?

Latest posts