The first drive home

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Last week end I viewed a van, my good lady fell in love with it and we pick it up on Saturday. I found this forum during the week and so far it's saved me money on the insurance; thank you cherished campers!

But now I keep on getting attracted to posts about vans being loaded onto flatbeds or sitting on the side of the road. I try to even it out by checking out some of the awesome examples and superb restoration projects going on. Yet I can't shake that feeling of joining the hard shoulder!

I drove the van and everything felt good, the seller is having her checked out before we collect, so I'm hoping all is well. Is there anything that I can keep an eye out for on the drive home? Or any advice to ensure I keep on smiling for the 150 mile trip.

Hi Welcome to bus ownership 8)

If she runs fine, and its not leaking loads of oil ( a drip or 2 is quite normal :lol: ) and dont chuck out loads of smoke, then the chances are shes good. The flat four is actually a reliable strong engine, as long as it has oil in it ;) . When you get home its always worth doing a service, change the plugs, points dissy cap and rotor arm, and of course the oil and oil strainer just for good measure.

Good luck with it, you'll be fine, just make sure you got breakdown cover :lol:

Just

good luck with it, youre not that far away from me (im near bury) not that my bus is going to be ready anytime soon :cry:

Hello, welcome to earlybay. I'll just echo what Just said, just maintain your engine & don't kill it on the motorway.
You'll get a feeling by listening to the engine when your giving it to much beans.
Good luck & get some piccys up...
Andy

with the amount on the road how many do you actual see ontop of a flatbed not many and if it does happen its just part of the advanture.

Enjoy your new addition

We often think like that ... drive it get used to it and you'll be surprised how many trouble free miles you do ... for our first proper adventure we went to Scotland and back (1300 miles) having done no more than a couple of local trips :eek: . As someone else said dont hammer it and keep an eye on the oil level.

Enjoy :D

I drove mine home from Devon and it was over five hours. It actually drove really well, the carb wasn't set up properly so wouldn't idle, a brake light connection went on one side, a dog ran across in front of me on the motor way and the speedo lights didn't work. But i found I had heating :lol:

Having said that I've had a fuel issue since, which i think i've sorted now, but that first journey was pretty amazing! Make sure you have breakdown cover though and enjoy it.

On my first trip i almost froze to death, nearly ran out of petrol at 1 am with really poor lights set completely wrong on 90 mile drive home, She did run well though on the motorway.

I managed to survive all the way from near Hastings back to Cheshire on 28th December...
Only interior was front seats...torn with springs poking out, no heat at all, several uncovered holes in the front floor!
Carb wasn't set right either...but made it back half frozen, deaf and still smiling after about 8 hours!!

Bournemouth to Woodbridge, suffolk, fan belt snapped 30 mins from Bournemouth luckily the rac guy had a replacement that fitted!!!
It was a cold sunny January day, but the heaters worked, no door seals tho so draughty and noisey.
Make sure you have breakdown cover that WILL cover older cars, some insurance companys only cover cars up to 10 years old and a fully charged mobile!

my first drive was from blackburn to near stockport, the carb wasn't right so i stalled at every set of lights, my headlights turned themselves on and off on their own, and my gear stick came off in my hand halfway down reddish lane and one of the wires fell off the starter motor so i couldnt re-start it after i stalled at the top of my street, but i got a wave from a bloke in a white westy, terrified an old couple with my 4tip monza (trying to stop it stalling) and couldnt wipe the grin off my face for days.

keep a nice compact socket set and a screwdriver with you, dont be afraid to get your hands (and clothes) dirty, and most of all, enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks for all the comments, turning into a 'my first drive' post!
Sounds like no matter what happens the first trip will be a memorable one.
Just heard back from the seller, van has been for a service; new heater cables replaced (not that I should need them in August, only a paddle by the looks of it) Got all my insurance details through and double checked the recovery section with a fine tooth comb.

Getting really excited now, just got to endure the three hour drive in a boring dull run of the mill Honda to get there ;)

I drove back in Jan freezing and then realised as it was getting dark that I had no lights . Plus I was stalling at every junction / set of lights as it had been sat for a year and not running to well. But I got home and have had no problems since touch wood. But I am a bit over the top changing my oil/condensor/points every 1000 miles . Plus as a few people have said I don't drive it very hard sitting at about 55 it screams a bit too loud at 65. I bought the magazines produced my volksworld called keeping your camper/vw alive they tought me a lot about my van. These are on e bay for about 3 pound each.

welcome to the brotherhood! :mrgreen:

Some great comments here but I feel I must point out one of the critical things to know about about an air cooled vehicle,forgive me if you are familiar with aircooled VW's.

One cannot under estimate the importance of not allowing the engine to over heat.They really are a strong engine but their life is dependant on the passage of cooling air & good oil flow through the engine. The engine is divided into the hot zone (underneath) & the cool zone (inside the engine bay) The engine temp relies on the cool zone being just that (it will still be warmish cos its an engine,but in relation to the underneath... its cool!!!),therefore,make sure all the correct seals around the tinware are present and correct & the tin ware is in place - this prevents the hot air from the hot zone being drawn into the cool zone & fan. oil has been covered ^

Also a tip that could save you a lot of heart ache - don't store anything in the engine bay that may get sucked into the intake fan such as cloths,papers etc.At higher revs,that fan can whip up a bit of a draw !!

hope this helps - enjoy it mate - they are great motor ! look forward to some pics!!

Kind Regards - Rob

When I bought my 52 from KK I had a really interesting experience, it went like this:

I left Newport train station bound for Southend on Sea (170 miles) on 7 July 2005 at 8am oclock ish (just missed the 7 oclock). After a 1 hour wait outside Reading we were told that there had been bombings on the underground in London......at the stops that I was due to use. :|
Then we were told that the train would go into Reading but no further and there would be no trains until further notice. I got off in Reading to be greated by armed police and Chaos. After a couple of hours they announced a few trains to major, non inner London destinations, so I got on a train to Gatwick. When I got there I tried to get a taxi but they were asking £300!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :( .
A local was kind enough to tell me about Gatwick flyer, and pointed to the stop, the driver was cool as **** and dropped me off outside KK. When I got there it was about 4:30pm and Richie King said that the bus had just failed the MOT but he would get it sorted...... :roll: Also when I went to pay by card he said he wanted cash.....a long walk to the bank and £8k in my pocket I got back to KK at 5:30pm to find that the bus failed again....
7pm the bus had passed and Julian pointed me in the right direction and I was homeward bound, in a LHD Panel Van for 170 mile trip. 20 mins later I found that the lights had failed and I needed to call the AA......they managed to get 1 side light working and 1 headlight and, much to my disgust, sent me on my way. After a very stressful ride, with plenty of angry lorry drivers flashing and beeping, I pulled up to my house at 3:30 am. :shock:

It was worth it though in the end, but I now pay for any vehicle to be delivered if I can. :mrgreen:

Funky Larma said:
Is there anything that I can keep an eye out for on the drive home? Or any advice to ensure I keep on smiling for the 150 mile trip.
Keep an eye out for all the flashes from other vw drivers as they pass, and dont worry about the trip back, when you get out and your still smiling then you'll realise what its all about ;) :lol:

I bought my first two beetles (a 56 oval & 62 sunroof model) sight unseen in Hungary.....
Flew my Dad & I over there, stayed at my in-laws house overnight then drove one each back to Somerset ~1200miles.
had some issues on the way back but made it eventually!!

Latest posts