The poprivet racer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poprivetracer

Reaction score
Hi all thought i would post a picture of my brothers early bay The Poprivet racer
HPIM0223.jpg

Hi all thanks for the welcome . yeah shes an honest bus alright . i got it 7 years ago in a swap for a devon pop top . had it down the side of my shed for 4 years just storing stuff in it . then my brother got married and i knew he wanted a bus so i gave this one to him . he wanted to go to vanfest in 2004 but didnt mention it to me until 3 weeks before the show . so me and my other brother and 1 of our mates started working on it {i was also trying to finish another early bay for a mate at the same time} we welded anything structural underneath /fitted all new brake pipes /new front calipers/ and pulled a 1600 engine from a bug got her running and driving then had to decide what to do with the body work. it wasnt to bad but time was running out so we decided to just pop rivet the repair panels on that way they would be easy to remove when we got home and we could weld them in properly . we painted it with left over primer from another job and them highlighted the pop rivets in silver . i then asked my mate that i was doing the other bay for if he could make small sticker for the back saying pop rivet racer. he is a sign writer so he said no problem . 2 days later he arrived down with all the stickers that you see on the bus and i also swapped a set of alloy wheels with him for his steels with new tires and baby moon hubcaps so she came together nicely and best of all it was done on a budget . she was taken on a short test drive the day after it was finished from killarney county kerry in Ireland over to Vanfest and the only problem we had was it started to leak petrol out of the small tank breather hose that is tucked up inside the left air vent . we fixed it and he hasnt had any problems with it since .4 years on and he is still driving her every day {we never got around to welding in the panels because he wouldnt stop driving it} she needs some welding now so he has to take her off the road .

This is the other early bay i was working on for my mate that did the sign writing for the pop rivet racer . hope you like it
PICT0195.jpg
. and yes Araon we are keeping the pop riveted panels :D :D :D she wouldnt be the same without them

Love the material on the door cards 8)

Hi all just back from Vanfest had a blast. the suicide doors were alot of work Araon it took me a week to work out how to do the first one i found out that the hinges on an old British classic car worked very well i had the other door sorted out in 3 days they work by remote press the button and the door pops open with a small gas ram. no i am not a member of eircooled but my brother was . the door panels are done with stick on vinyl { the vans owner is a sign maker and uses all sorts of vinyl in his job } Hi Rony didnt know you were on here :D

Latest posts