The sink on a 68 westy, what is correct ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinbusRonnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question;
It seems like the sink in my 'sink furniture' have been replaced by some stainless steel, with no water outlet (drain).
But when i look down under, there is no place for an outlet??
Westy%20(16)%20(Medium).jpg

Westy%20(17)%20(Medium).jpg

Thanks !
Ronnie

Yes, there is a hole under the sink furniture.
The water from the drip tray (in icebox) was led out through this hole.

In the campmobile brochure from 68' it is stated that the sink have a drain.
Somewhere i read that the og sink often cracked over time, so i'll guess people replaced that by the stainless type.
But it's strange that there is no place for drain (outlet)
Ronnie

Mine is an April 69 not a 68 but it has the same unit as yours. Stainless bowl that is removable with no drain. It also doesn't have the vent going to the roof.

As far as I can see you have the correct unit for your bus. There was an earlier version, (see Clems bus) with a fiberglass top and sink, but I think they were only in the buses made in 67.

I find the stainless bowl really useful as you can remove it.

Faux; Thanks a lot for that info with the early model, that makes sense.
Maybe you noticed that my bowl is not as deep as yours?

Could i ask you to take some pics of the left and right tables, someone chose to replace the og hinges and screw them on top instead of the side, off course i want to try to get it back to og, so need a pic of the correct mounting.

My right table also been minor destroyed by po, luckily it's not visible.

btw..it's a very nice sink unit you got there, and i can see i need the little hook left of the drawer.

AxlFoley; No, these 68' westies dont have the vertical pipe. Is it for venting?

Ronnie

I 'think' that essentially, early 68s have the fibreglass sink tops, they changed, I thought, for the 69model year to the stainless insert type but may have been earlier in some cases, and then the stainless top completely came for 70 onwards.

The upright vent pipe is trickier as it depends where the van was destined. It was fitted to comply with California housing regulations(!) at that point in time and earned one of the wheelarch tags seen on Cali buses.

:)

Clem said:
I 'think' that essentially, early 68s have the fibreglass sink tops, they changed, I thought, for the 69model year to the stainless insert type but may have been earlier in some cases, and then the stainless top completely came for 70 onwards.

The upright vent pipe is trickier as it depends where the van was destined. It was fitted to comply with California housing regulations(!) at that point in time and earned one of the wheelarch tags seen on Cali buses.

:)

Hi!

My 70 westy has the metal top sink as expected, but was a Washington DC delivered bus, it has the vent pipe, but no wheel arch tags as it wasn't a original sold in California bus - though it did end up in California, where the previous owners were. I thought all buses had the tags if they were originally destined for that Cali market?

If the 68 had a removable sink without a drain facility. So only vented from 69 onwards when there was a proper sink fitted? Regardless of Cali or not?

Cheers!

Alistair

Mine was from Cali but had no tags, and being an April 69 it is classed as a 69 and they came with the stainless insert. The August 69 to July 70 are classed as a 70 and had a full stainless top.

I'm sure there are some buses that don't fit the norm, there always is.

As for the shallower stainless bowl it looks as if they have found a near replacement and shaved a little wood to make it fit, gives you more space underneath to store stuff.

faux said:
Mine was from Cali but had no tags, and being an April 69 it is classed as a 69 and they came with the stainless insert. The August 69 to July 70 are classed as a 70 and had a full stainless top.

I'm sure there are some buses that don't fit the norm, there always is.

As for the shallower stainless bowl it looks as if they have found a near replacement and shaved a little wood to make it fit, gives you more space underneath to store stuff.

Oh well, bang goes my theory then!? :roll: ;)

Alistair

Latest posts