the ultimate BUS engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres no such thing as the ultimate bus engine Fred. Theres only the best compromise between what you want and what you can afford.

As already posted, a "built for torque" 1776 (better but not wild cam and stock size valves) is a good way of upgrading the bus engine without compromising reliability and engine life though I would always go for twin carbs (or injection if you can afford it) because the Improvement in performance and mpg over a single carb is well worthwhile.

If you want to stick to stock stroke then at least buy a counterweighted crankshaft since the engine will be much smoother - - but for only a few pounds more and a very small amount of machining to the case (you can even do it yourself with a grinder) you could buy a counterweighted crank with a slightly longer stroke to give you 1.9 to 2.1 litre capacity - - though you would also need the heads machined (demi hemi cut) to get the compression back down - but the cut would improve combustion so giving you more power/mpg.

You should be able to build up an engine using new bits for between 2 and 3000. A large chunk of that will be the carbs but its worth it.

Have a look here for more info on components and costs :- http://www.vwspeedshop.com/home.php?cat=386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dirty Harry - that is a mint engine bay you have there :)

I dont know enough about engine building to have much input here, but for those that do - I believe Freds bus is the oldest/earliest roadworthy 68 bay known to the world and is all pretty darn good og metal and paint .... so I reckon body mods are out of the question - even lobbing off the air filter stand for twin carbs, hence the single carb requirement.

hi clem ... it's for my other bus ... but anyway, i really am more into original than into "bodypanel butchering" :)

and oh, i really cannot afford anything i want ... it's like trikky two wrote: i am looking for best compromise on a (tight) budget, without losing the aspect og originality ... and getting more oomph out of the engine ...

stagger lee said:
Trikky2 said:
Theres no such thing as the ultimate bus engine Fred. Theres only the best compromise between what you want and what you can afford.............

what if you can afford anything you want?

Then you can get what you think is the ultimate since everybodys idea of "ultimate" is going to be based on what they want to use the bus for. Hence I still cannot give a definitve answer - sorry :?

First time I've built a bus engine and this is what I'm going for :-

76mm stroker crank x 90.5 b&p's to give 1955cc
1:1.25 ratio rockers
42 x 37 heads
Weber twin 40's
full flow oil, maybe remote cooler
full weight flywheel
Scat I beam rods
full end to end balance on crank
CB serpentine pulley kit

Im going to be building my bus motor soon.

1776cc (69mm JMR counterweight crank and mahle B&P's) i was going to go 1914cc but apparantly the thinner walls can go oval alot quicker than the 1776 uns.
JMR Conrods
Engle 100 or 110 (not decided yet :D )
JMR polished and ported VW heads with stock valve sizes and all the performance gubbins.
Dellorto DRLA 36's with Home made custom stacks
Home made (CSP Python style) header with tuckaway muffler
Full flow oil system with cooler and fan

Im going to fully balance the engine and also going to fully blueprint it aswell. I bought the JMR performance guide, Ill be buying all my parts from him as he proper knows his engines obviously!! Also when i was window surfing a while ago (when his shop was online) the parts he recommended where cheap but came with his full backing, similar products with a brand name on were sometimes up to £250 more expensive on other sites!!

Looking forward to getting cracking but the man is so busy im struggling to get prices for me bits :lol: Ill ge there :mrgreen:

2.2L Porsche. air cooled, triple carbs, sweet...............8) 8)
porscheengine045.jpg

Just need to complete the install :roll:

that is sweet.
so i take it that donk is fundamentally one of the type4 derivatives?
what model porsche is it out of?

ooh, sorry, just seen the triple carbs bit. so it's a flat six is it?

what have been the tchnical issues to fit it?

New AS41 case, full flowed, stroker clearanced

4340 forged 78mm crank

DRD 5,4" I beam rods

Stock weight 8 dowelled flywheel

AA 92 thick walled pistons & liners, Bugpack retainers

Steve Tims Stage 1 heads 40*35,5 heads, dual valves springs, P&P, 163 cfm @ 0,6"

CR 9:1 0.04" deck-height.

DRD 1,4/1 rockers

A1 1"5/8 SS Sidewinder

Twin 40 DRLA's with 36 mm chokes

Full power from 2500 to 7K :msn4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNsNFLJ84U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-cNiSkd0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stagger lee said:
that is sweet.
so i take it that donk is fundamentally one of the type4 derivatives?
what model porsche is it out of?

ooh, sorry, just seen the triple carbs bit. so it's a flat six is it?

what have been the tchnical issues to fit it?
Have a look on my gallery. Still in the process of fitting. Actual fitting in the hole was easy, no major mods.

kombiporsche said:
New AS41 case, full flowed, stroker clearanced

4340 forged 78mm crank

DRD 5,4" I beam rods

Stock weight 8 dowelled flywheel

AA 92 thick walled pistons & liners, Bugpack retainers

Steve Tims Stage 1 heads 40*35,5 heads, dual valves springs, P&P, 163 cfm @ 0,6"

CR 9:1 0.04" deck-height.

DRD 1,4/1 rockers

A1 1"5/8 SS Sidewinder

Twin 40 DRLA's with 36 mm chokes

Full power from 2500 to 7K :msn4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNsNFLJ84U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-cNiSkd0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that sounds really fast :msn4:

hey just been reading. Im staying type one in my EB also. So far im thinking, stock rpm range, to pull at 70mph all day

heres the list as it stands still plent of work to do on it its only a partial list atm

full flow dual relief case (hopefully new if not good line bored one)
2.1 WBX crank conversion (longer stoke cheap ish) 76mm stroke
210mm flywheel
cam
heads 041 stock
Pistons 88mm or 90.5 (88mm likely 1848cc)

spec will maybe change a bit depending on cam and carbs. this isnt a race engine jsut a torquy job that will do good mpg (for a type1)

six said:
Im staying type one in my EB also. So far im thinking, stock rpm range, to pull at 70mph all day

spec will maybe change a bit depending on cam and carbs. this isnt a race engine jsut a torquy job that will do good mpg (for a type1)

that's exactly what i was thinking ...

How much would it be for JMR to build an engine for the bus? I fancy something a bit more powerful than my 1800 with twin Dell36's?

thanks

analord said:
How much would it be for JMR to build an engine for the bus? I fancy something a bit more powerful than my 1800 with twin Dell36's?

thanks
Just ask him. I'm getting Laurie Pettitt to build an engine for me and it isn't any more expensinve than buying something "off the shelf" from other suppliers. You might end up with a pleasant suprise! :D

Latest posts