Things to check when Buying on Ebay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
Things to check when buying an old VW (posted with the benefit of hindsight)

Investigate seller – google name – mobile number – take notice of negative feedback

Don’t be rushed

Take photo of their driving license

Get signed receipt with address - and proof it's the correct address - not just where they happen to invite you to view

Check MOT – you can check current MOT and history on DVLA website– for example current MOT shows no advisories – the history shows welding was done on the same date the non advisory certificate was issued.

Don’t view in wet (OK that’s bloody obvious but not easy to arrange if you've travelled far by train) - apart from not being able to see body work condition you can’t see leaking brake fluid / oil

If the yellow part of the registration doc is missing you are buying from a dealer or dealer posing as private seller - if the later be very suspicious, at very best they're trying to avoid dealer obligations so you are being disadvantaged.

New V5 registration documents were issued a few years ago make sure you use the new type –

Most important of all – don’t believe a f*king word the seller says unless backed up by something solid.

What they don’t say is far more important than what they do say

Make a list of everything to check before leaving home

Verify everything they say (f*cking lying bastards)

If in doubt walk away - no exceptions

Yeah I have just had a bad experience – and yeah reading the above it's all so f*g obvious - but it's easy to get carried away when looking
at a shiny new car !

Maybe this can help someone else...

How you didn't get totally f**ked fella

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

...didn't get totally screwed - the car itself is good, but I paid a "premium" for an excellent car and I just feel such an ass for being fooled

It is a '71 bug, bought for the wife, unmolested, I was told no rust, no welding one old lady owner from new, always garaged blah blah blah-
in fact it has had two owners, has a bit of rust and had a bit of welding - but does have some interesting things like original bill of sale, and original service manual.
It looks good and the interior is perfect and original, but will need a heater channel welded up in the near future - would post pictures - but not really relevant for a bus forum.

The wife loves it which is the main thing - and the 1.3 engine is so fast compared to the bus which she struggles with.

(I never realised cars rusted MUCH more in the nearside than the offside - due to puddles normally forming on side of road, obvious really - I learned this the expensive way and another reason for driving an old LHD car in a RHD country)

Latest posts