Thinking of upgrading to 1776 ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compression would be the first thing to check as without that you will have bugger all power regardless of what you bolt on.

I think I am starting to go the right way now. As every thing else is done . Will get it checked out and see .
Thanks for all your help guys.
I will let you know what happens.

vw_mad said:
Will get it checked out and see .

It is really easy to check yourself, I record the pressures on a whiteboard in my garage along with when I last did valves and oil change. You can get one in Halfords for about £25 and loads of articles on how to go about doing it. Just do it cold, I put down to taking my plugs in and out the hot engine as to why I just stripped the threads on the head, along with cheap repro plugs with very sharp threads, stick with Bosch next time (Time-Sert fixed the head though so well chuffed).

I would check your own compression first, see if you have a cylinder / valve issue then get the timing and valve clearances done (again easy to do yourself) and then take it to a rolling road to get the carbs tuned and take it from there.

My story was going to be 1776 last year but having put on dual Solex carbs (build quality sucks) and a quiet pack exhaust I am going to go 1600 again when I replace it this Winter, it suits my pace of life and budget and the change from stock carb / exhaust was enough to make it perfectly speedy around towns. People see a van and assume it is slow, why do anything to prove them wrong!

My theory was also more power in the engine, more strain on the gearbox and more opportunity for wear and tear. I also want to remain 'serviceable' in the field and get things fixed if I am away rather than wait for custom parts. I would love to build up a stroker motor just not for the van (I sold my Fastback a few months ago that was the target car now I think I will get a buggy next Summer instead ;-) ).

Good luck with whichever way you go, options are endless and cost is limitless, do not forget to consider the changes you need to make to the drivetrain / brakes and other bits that may feel the pain from having a touch more power.

Somethings not right. I'm all standard single porter and it flies along. Never embaressed with a queue behind.

only time I get a que behind me is when i'm stuck behind some grandad who cant go faster than 35mph in his skoda,or a steep hill when towing the drag beep.

Do you have a vacuum advance distributor? If so it might be worth checking where the vacuum takeoff is coming from. It should be from a carb and not from the manifold as you will get the wrong advance signal from there.I hear this happens often when people fit twin carbs as it's an easier to tap into a balance pipe than drill and tap the carb. Thinking back to your early post, where you say that it flew once up to speed with the 45s, this could have that effect...
All other suggestions seem logical too and a good tappet service and compression check are the right starting point.

Neil

Thanks Neil
The bus has electronic ignition so the vacuum not the issue .
But will look at getting all the other bits checked and let you guys know in the coming weeks.
Thanks again you guys for all your info.

vw_mad said:
Thanks Neil
The bus has electronic ignition so the vacuum not the issue .
But will look at getting all the other bits checked and let you guys know in the coming weeks.
Thanks again you guys for all your info.

All the electronic ignition does is do away with the points, if you've got a vacuum distributor it still needs the mechanism to work properly or you'll get running issues.

No it has a full solid state flame thrower ignitor 1 electronic ignition.

67panel said:
only time I get a que behind me is when i'm stuck behind some grandad who cant go faster than 35mph in his skoda,or a steep hill when towing the drag beep.

Oi, leave the Skoda's alone !

I am theoretically old enough to be a grandad, but mine's not limited to 35 :)

3photo.jpg

Of to buy a compression tester next week. And also going to check valve's as been watching videos on YouTube .

Yes I have one of them will find it out
And have a look through it for extra tips.
Thanks

Latest posts