Thought id share a few pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradox

Reaction score
Seen as earlybay are been good enough to look after us whilst the shelfs are restacked at the latebay
I thought i would share a few choice pics from my resto with you early guys

The late bay lot think im nuts so id be interested to think what you early bay people think of my work

As always constructive critism is as welcomly recieved as compliments

005.jpg

018.jpg

001-8.jpg

001-11.jpg

002-8.jpg

001-17.jpg

002-12.jpg

001-18.jpg

002-13.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-13.jpg

006-5.jpg

007-4.jpg

002-15.jpg

001-22.jpg

All hand painted with a brush using old school enamel paint
I have more pics if theres any interest

Ok ill post a few more pics because i can :msn4:

293.jpg

005-7.jpg

001-27.jpg

001-28.jpg

002-18.jpg

I used my bus a bit last year and it gave me some great alone time

084.jpg

086.jpg

Most of the time my bus will be allowing me and my dog to do this in good surroundingd

DSC01016.jpg

Ive recently done the fuel tank and because of the larger area i decided to use a foam roller instead of the brushes i normally use

002-41.jpg

002-47.jpg

003-43.jpg

001-62.jpg

002-48.jpg

004-34.jpg

003-44.jpg

002-49.jpg

002-50.jpg

Me in action you cant see me sticking my tongue out because im in the zone lol

001-63.jpg

Hi!

Disc brakes? Servo? What will they think of next?! :lol:

I think that work looks very good indeed, good work on the beam, that was pretty rusty!

Why do folk think you're mad then? :?:

Cheers!

Alistair

Cheers for all the comments guys :D

Ive started on the tinware tonight

001-67.jpg

002-53.jpg

002_zps67738856.jpg

003_zps01ddd860.jpg

004_zps75f2d623.jpg

005_zps8ae7672a.jpg

Para you ought to consider setting up something - you refurb a set of parts & keep them on shelf. Someone comes along, exhcanges old for refurb plus £ according to your outlays & you move onto the next set

MarkC68 said:
Para you ought to consider setting up something - you refurb a set of parts & keep them on shelf. Someone comes along, exhcanges old for refurb plus £ according to your outlays & you move onto the next set

I have considered somthing along those lines a few times mark

The thing is storing all the parts people may want in a variety of colours would prove too expensive and i dont have enough space or money to buy the parts in

I would have to be sent the persons parts to do then send them back again and the time it takes for me to clean prep and paint them it would probably work out cheaper for people to get parts blasted and powdercoated
However powdercoating doesent give as good of a finish or shine as my painting does and is also less detailed

I thought engines maybe a good place to start?

Someone crates up and engine and sends it to me i could strip it paint and detail it all then assemble it and crate it back up ready to be courrierd away

Even then i would have to tool up a bit more too speed up the process

Doris said:
Good job.difficult to get that good a finish with brush...well done.keep the pics coming :mrgreen:

Cheers doris

You are correct in the fact its hard to get a good finish with a brush but once you have got used to how enamel paint flows and settles it can give amazing resuts
I do love working with the paint as it feels almost like your connected and tuned in with the part and the paint
Id imagine people who do pinstriping get a simmaler feeling

Ive got the first coat on the otherside of the tinware now

Once its cured properly ill start to wet sand the enamel paint in preperation for the next coat
Im hoping to get the desired finish with less than five coats with flatting inbetween but sometimes it can take up to ten coats to get perfect

001_zpsadd4dd18.jpg

aogrady said:
Hi!

Disc brakes? Servo? What will they think of next?! :lol:

I think that work looks very good indeed, good work on the beam, that was pretty rusty!

Why do folk think you're mad then? :?:

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi alister sorry i must have missed your post before
Folk probably think im mad because of the amount of time and attention i put into small details most that are rarely seen lol
Its great to see the testers face at mot time though lol

I like to get every component of a vehicle the best i can

My rear lights werent in the best condition so i ended up messing with them

001-68.jpg

002-54.jpg

So first of a good blast in the dishwasher

003-47.jpg

They came out cleaner but no where near what id be happy with

005-19.jpg

004-36.jpg

I thought id be able to improve the condition of the lenses a fair bit but others doubted it

A bit of time and effort and i think i made a good improvement in condition of an old part

005-20.jpg

006-15.jpg

The light housing themselves were a bit crusty and ive never been happy with the dim rear lights on a bay

So i decided to clean them up properly and prep them for paint

001-69.jpg

003-48.jpg

After the primer i layed on a few coats of platinum mettalic silver paint

004-37.jpg

Then whilst that paint was still tacky i layed on a few coats of light reflecting paint which is a clear laquer full of microscopic glass beads

007-12.jpg

A quick test with the camera flash at night reveals that they do in fact reflect a lot more light and as such should result in brighter rear lights and ive saved the original housings and not had to pay out for poor quality repros

013-3.jpg

015-3.jpg

And whilst the lights were all apart i soaked the bulb holders in white vinager to remove 34 years of corrosion off the elecrtical contacts

008-9.jpg

Ive started on another piece of tinware today

This one had quite a lot of surface corrosion and pitting even after wire brushing
so ive slatherd it in rust converter to make sure it gets into all the corrosion

Ill sand it all down and get it in each primer tommorow

001_zps032bc950.jpg

003_zpsd8e47f76.jpg

002_zps81062e7e.jpg

Stirling work :mrgreen: .
Doesnt the paint stink your house out?
My mrs would kill me if i did that!

Rich :)

Cheers dude

Yes the paint does smell a bit but im fourtunate to have a mrs that doesent mind me doing it
I just have to sense when shes starting to get fed up of it and lay off for a while

paradox said:
Cheers dude

Yes the paint does smell a bit but im fourtunate to have a mrs that doesent mind me doing it
I just have to sense when shes starting to get fed up of it and lay off for a while

on the kitchen table i would love to, she would kill me :axechase:

Latest posts