ticking on one of the heads

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennie

Reaction score
Fitted a recon engine 700 hundred miles ago.Run in for 500 hundred miles and changed oil readjusted valves as per manufactuers spec. Also fitted a set of twin carbs although they haven,t been set up yet,she,s booked for rolling road this wed. the problems i,ve got is that when she starts up theres a big puff of smoke out of the exhaust and a ticking noise coming from the cylinder head. The head affected is to the left when looking in from the back. Also smells of petrol fumes and guzzles petrol like never before. Any advice would be appreciated.

if your booked in on rolling road on wednesday id re do the valve clearances( one it will save you money,two might cure the ticking sound coming from 3 or 4 cylinder) then leave the carbs to the rolling road guys (if there any good) which should solve your fuel smell and consumion problem ................one more thing run it for a week then get the mixture checked again , my carb miester man can tell by looking at what the mixture is doing to what the valves are doing ,i am going to italy on friday and he stuck bus on the machine and said one of the valves had closed up a bit so re did valve clearances( i only did them 2 weeks previous) now spot on ! try and build up a repure with the rolling road guys (i big mine up ) he loves it and now does my mixture check for free hope this helps theres also a good how to on fuel pressure (fuel pump)to carbs in this months volksworld which would help too , try and eliminate stuff , elecey ignition is one fit and forget , valve clearances you can do , fuel presure you can do ,timing and carb set up rolling road guys can do ............there nothing else left but a perfect running engine,

regards
chris

Am going to wilsher,s garage in wimpole about 15 miles from st neots. Friend of mine recommended them to me. Think this place is recommended by type 2 detectives. Will let you know how i get on.

rennie said:
Am going to wilsher,s garage in wimpole about 15 miles from st neots. Friend of mine recommended them to me. Think this place is recommended by type 2 detectives. Will let you know how i get on.

fantastic - you can always 'drop in' conversation that you know someone who is also looking to get it done...at the very least they should look after you...you wouldn't recommend someone duff!

let me know pm if you want - when you going?

booked in for 10 o clock tomorrow. will have a word and try to get to know him and let you know prices ect tomorrow eve.

rennie said:
booked in for 10 o clock tomorrow. will have a word and try to get to know him and let you know prices ect tomorrow eve.

if mine was mot'd and further on we could have negotiated a bulk discount :lol:

yes please so let me know how you get on....I have got quite a few jets so hopefully that will help when I get it done!

cheers

Darren

dubdubz said:
noticed you're in st neots - where are u rolling roading? let me know how you get on as I need my 68 with 36 DRLA's to be done...in fact willing to travel for the right service!

There is one more local to you, Try Dyno Tune in Peterborough on 01733 349329 They are well up to speed on vw's, and there prices are excellent too.

Matt

mattyd72 said:
dubdubz said:
noticed you're in st neots - where are u rolling roading? let me know how you get on as I need my 68 with 36 DRLA's to be done...in fact willing to travel for the right service!

There is one more local to you, Try Dyno Tune in Peterborough on 01733 349329 They are well up to speed on vw's, and there prices are excellent too.

Matt

thanks for that - I'll call them when I've mot'd her

didn,t go well. engine overheated on way there then blew up on the way back.home on a low loader again.

rennie said:
didn,t go well. engine overheated on way there then blew up on the way back.home on a low loader again.

what a nightmare i feel for you......... are you under guarantee?

chris

is garuanteed. only done 800 miles since engine installation.worst part is we were booked in for a weeks camping in devon next week.

Latest posts